UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Old Topics

I've noticed recently less acitivity than usual in the forum which got me thinking. Are we eventually going to run out of Roman topics? I know there are still a lot of new topics that have not yet been discussed but there are also many topics that have already been covered. A lot of the new members that join don't get the opportunity to discuss those popular topics. If they open a new thread about for example 'Greatest Roman', 'Republic vs Principate', 'Christianity in the Empire' or 'Rome's worst enemy' etc. they will be told that this topic has already been discussed under an older thread and if they post on the older used up thread they won't get much feedback. But, I also realize that we cannot have repetetion and exhaustion of topics.

This is just a suggestion. In order not to deny participation to new members and current members that wish to rediscuss older topics and to avoid repetition, do you think a limit should be placed on the topics that have already been discussed? For example, if I want to open a new thread about 'Cicero' and a similar thread was opened say over one year ago, then I should be able to discuss 'Cicero' under a new thread, but if the old 'Cicero' thread was less than a year old then a new thread is not necessary. Does that make sense?

I just think this way new members will have the opportunity to contribute and it will reinvigorate the forum while at the same time keeping repetition under control.

I'de like to know what the mods and members think and what ideas they have on this matter.

Edited by tflex

I don't think there needs to be a time limit on old discussions.

I have never yet seen a mod or admin close a thread because it has already been discussed iirc, only threads that are already under discussion.

If you want to re-open an old topic, why not start by summarizing the major points that were made previously? For example, if you want to restart a Republic vs Principate thread, sum up the points that were already made in favor of each and then add what you think is new (e.g., new evidence, new questions, new connection, whatever).

I think the only time the admins/mods put their foot down about old threads was some of the nonsense that used to happen on the Legion folder. As far as some of the other topics, I find them a little worn out and personally don't participate in them, but they're not going to be closed if people still want to discuss them.

If someone starts a thread that has been discussed before, we simply merge the topics and take it from there.

I've noticed recently less acitivity than usual in the forum which got me thinking...

Actually, february is on course to be as busy as november, and that was our second most active month ever...

regards

viggen

Oh well. I guess you are right but for some reason I thought things were a little peaceful around here. Not today though.