UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Princeps' Song O' The Day

Princeps

Do you like the Smiths or Morrissey docoflove? I was thinking about adding a few 80s tunes to the list.

They're kinda one and the same...in fact, I can't tell the difference, esp. since Johnny Marr usually played on Morrissey's solo tracks. Go fig.

If we go 80s synth-pop or alternative/progressive/modern rock (depending on what it was called in your area), then I would suggest any of the following:

The Cure

New Order

Joy Division

The Smiths

Morrissey

The Clash (a bit of punk never hurt anyone, right?)

Depeche Mode (before Violator)

Erasure (less depressing, but definitely of the era...Chorus is a fav CD)

And there are so many others...and I'm blanking...but that's a starter list.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have excellent taste docoflove, I see you are fond of 80s UK music. I've never really listened to joy division ("Love will tear us apart" being the exception), but I quite like new order. Ian Curtis' demise was a tragedy. I will get some tracks from them to add to the list.

Just for you Germanicus-

Ian Brown - Time is my Everything

Ian got some sort of lifetime achievement award from NME recently, and not before time either. I believe he was there from the start of the Madchester revolution, and we have him to thank for influencing a lot of what has come since then. I really love this song in particular, he utilises a lot of brass in his tunes, which is a nice change from what I usually listen to.

8/10

Edited by Princeps

I'll probably be beat up for this, but i was listening to some music on the radio today, and the best song i heard was by one of my fave bands. So, my song for today, march 18, is "Sultans of Swing", by Dire Straits!

You most likely won't be able to download that from itunes :)

yeah, i'm a 60's/70's/80's music fan; nothing wrong with a bit of individuality is there? :)

Edited by Tobias

Nah, they broke up a fair while ago, around about '85 i believe, after the "Two Hearts" album.

I've inherited my mum and dad's LP collection and player, so that's why i'm so into this music; i have Men at Work's best album "Business as Usual", and it's great...but yeah, Men at Work are gone, unfortunately...

Do you like the Smiths or Morrissey docoflove? I was thinking about adding a few 80s tunes to the list.

They're kinda one and the same...in fact, I can't tell the difference, esp. since Johnny Marr usually played on Morrissey's solo tracks. Go fig.

If we go 80s synth-pop or alternative/progressive/modern rock (depending on what it was called in your area), then I would suggest any of the following:

The Cure

New Order

Joy Division

The Smiths

Morrissey

And there are so many others...and I'm blanking...but that's a starter list.

I would add the stone roses, the charlatans and new order to the list =) (Madchester?who said Madchester? :D )

By the way, I got to listen to some samples off the new charlatans album "simpatico" (lol), it seems pretty good.

Morrisey

lol Mozza lives in Rome now

• 3 weeks later...

I have neglected this thread for the past month or so, I will resume posting as of now

Bush Swallowed

I really like the guitar and vocals on this tune. Don't see much of this band anymore. I would classify this tune as some type of grunge style.

8/10

DMX - X gonna give it to ya

Wait for you to get it on ya own? X gonna deliver it to ya. This is my favourite DMX song, possibly one of my favourite rap/hiphop tunes in general, been playing this quite a lot recently.

8.5/10

Do you like the Smiths or Morrissey If we go 80s synth-pop or alternative/progressive/modern rock (depending on what it was called in your area), then I would suggest any of the following:

The Cure

New Order

Joy Division

The Smiths

Morrissey

To be expected since we are pretty much the same age but you just named the soundtreck to my coming of age years... Erasure! I haven't thought of them in a while! I loved those guys. To add to the above list, what about: Love & Rockets & X

Also, Docoflove I've got one for you as a San Fran native, did you ever go see a band in the 90's called Thinking Feller's Union 282?

Edited by Pantagathus

To be expected since we are pretty much the same age but you just named the soundtreck to my coming of age years... Erasure! I haven't thought of them in a while! I loved those guys. To add to the above list, what about: Love & Rockets & X

LOVE AND ROCKETS!!! I'm alive....oh oh oh so alive...

Also, Docoflove I've got one for you as a San Fran native, did you ever go see a band in the 90's called Thinking Feller's Union 282?

Ironically, I know few local bands, both past and present. Kinda sad, innit? But I'm interested in hearing them!

Ok then here's one for the old timers (like me!), though not exactly synth-pop

Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares to You

The video to accompany this song is quite powerful, and apparently they shot it dozens of times (and I think the tears at the end were actually an ad-lib, though don't quote me on that). Plus Sinead is really hot in this vid!

8/10

The Libertines - Can't Stand Me Now

Songs like this one are the reason Pete Doherty is loved by so many, despite being a total smack monster. Not overwhelming in its greatness, I'd describe this tune as "nice", he definately deserves the label "The Poet". This is another of those songs that remind me of my own life journey, especially the line "teach me how to play guitar, with my cigarette like a superstar. Fortunately I haven't smoked for a good three years, don't think I've strummed for at least that long though, might have to remedy that soon.

9/10

Note on this song - this is not the original version, I think it may be a live recording. The original is good, but this track is worth finding, I think it's a lot better and I've added to the score I gave it (Pete sings "I read every review,...ahhh a vision of you" near the end of the version I reccomend)

Edited by Princeps

Ok then here's one for the old timers (like me!), though not exactly synth-pop

Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares to You

The video to accompany this song is quite powerful, and apparently they shot it dozens of times (and I think the tears at the end were actually an ad-lib, though don't quote me on that). Plus Sinead is really hot in this vid!

8/10

As outstanding a version this is, it's written by Prince, and it's worth noting that on his 'Hits' CD there is a live version with him and Rosie Gaines (who was part of his New Power Generation band). Both are classics.

Mariah Carey - Shake it off

I never really liked Mariah's early stuff, but since her comeback her music has really improved imo. I think she's working with better producers or something, anyway the productions values of this song cannot be denied, and Mariah's voice is as strong as ever.

8/10

The Killers - All These Things I've Done

I got this tune from the "Hot Fuss" album, one of those rare gems where every song is worth listening to. This was my favourite tune ever for a while, even now when I'm anebriated I am known to screech along with it at the top of my voice, especially "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier". A classic song this one.

9/10