UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Apology Of The Crusades

Philhellene

Wow! Your cyborg gattling prosthetic is most realistic.

also your artwork is near photo-realistic, I almost smelt the radiation drenched post-apocalyptic landscape.

Edited by Pertinax

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh lord... is the hapless Martian waving at his apologetic tormentor?

I just noticed the recombinate Mastadon in the background... ^_^

LOL indeed. And I just realized I have no idea what the 'M' on our poor repentant cyborg's chest represents. Martian, Mastodon, Moonlapse...?

(I'll be good and move this butchered example of a thread to off-topic. Uhh with apologies to original thread starter Philhellene for said butchering.)

Oh lord... is the hapless Martian waving at his apologetic tormentor?

I just noticed the recombinate Mastadon in the background... ^_^

LOL indeed. And I just realized I have no idea what the 'M' on our poor repentant cyborg's chest represents. Martian, Mastodon, Moonlapse...?

(I'll be good and move this butchered example of a thread to off-topic. Uhh with apologies to original thread starter Philhellene for said butchering.)

Ha! Gotcha! You didn't apologize!

The Vatican has No business apologizing for that which others had lived. One can only wonder what underlying motive must there be for today in the modern world, for the Vatican to play ignorant of historical facts?

The crusades were a direct response to the Muslim aggressions westwards for their claims of territorial rights of forcing by blood Tribute and taxation. The religious bent employed by the Califs to that end was a ploy, plain and simple. These Califs , who empowered the aggression on the Christian World, murdered each other until they lost to the Crusders and the cultural advantages in wealth and technology that yearts of conquesting had gained them.. That's Not to say the Crusades themselves where a righteous expedition wholly for set out in the name of Christ nor his place of Birth. The Crusaders were for the most part mercenary forces , of Kings seeking employment and forcing an end to the Muslim foring of tributes and taxations.Sure there was alot of grass roots support in the 'Name of Righteousness' on both sides , as the commoner has always fought in the name of Good over evil, but these long on going wars , call them Crusade of Conquert , they simply kept the business of war going strong and the owners of the law in power. Law by Men or God.

regards,

Laid waste?

The world evolved thanks to this european expansion. They brought laws, institutions, infrastructure, tehnology and culture not only pillage and murder.

This is the defetism that PP mentioned. Feeling guilty for what should be a pride.

Europeans destroyed entire civilizations, denied peoples their right to their own future. You could say the same about muslims, they conquered Christian lands, but in many cases, they helped to improve civilization, like in northern Africa and holy land. They were still responsible for murder and pillage, but in much less decree than Europeans were.

Europeans laid waste to China, India and other civilizations that were incredibly rich in culture and wealthy before the Europeans came. Undoubtetly Europeans brougth laws, institutions and technology, but with a high price. Africa is a hellhole because of European colonization, certainly no proper infrastructure was build by Europeans there, or at least anything that would be worth the civil wars and corruption. China was in a mess, and is partly today. Indian and Incan civilizations are all gone. That's quite a history of bloodshed.

Dammit! I have to go, I'll write and answer later.

In the modern sense, you really can't blame Europeans anymore since now they are the biggest promoters/benefactors of universal peace/mankind/civiliation/et alia. Rather, obviously, many, the leftists/extremists (out of resent/hatred) would refer to the American military-might as the biggest destroyer/invader/hamprance of society nowadays. In a lightful manner, you broadly would say Westernism is a destroyer of cultures( which in a way it has overpowered other cultures with 'pop culture' to the youth.)

I really wish you would all do this kind of thing when I'm awake to take part !

I think I deserve a heartfelt apology........

I shall apologize, for PP. I am laden with his guilt.

Damn, I apologize for guilt transference. Its a heavy burden you bear.

I also apologize to Gaius Octavius for not being aware of whatever it is that I didn't apologize for earlier. Allow me also to pre-emptively apologize just in case I am totally missing something.

I also apologize to Germanicus for acting a fool while he sleeps. But since it is about midnight here as I type this he should in theory be awake on the opposite side of the world. If he misses this he will have to apologize for missing my effort to include him. Although I should also apologize for assuming that he will be awake at this very moment.

I also apologize to those of you attempting to resurrect this thread from the abyss, also for saying this thread is in the abyss, also for anyone wasting their time reading this, also for suggesting that willingly reading this thread is a waste of your time...

I think you get the point. Er well I apologize if you don't :)

Europeans destroyed entire civilizations, denied peoples their right to their own future. You could say the same about muslims, they conquered Christian lands, but in many cases, they helped to improve civilization, like in northern Africa and holy land. They were still responsible for murder and pillage, but in much less decree than Europeans were.

Improved civilization more than the Europeans? I challenge you to spend some time in your beloved muslim lands like I have. Go as a young woman to get the full experience The truth is Christian and Jews were taxed in order to practice their religion, on some occasions massacred. In some eras Christian homes had male children taken from them to be raised as Janissaries for the Ottomans. Ask the Zorostorians of Iran that are left or a Coptic Christian in Cairo how they've been treated in the last 1000 years by muslims.

Europeans laid waste to China, India and other civilizations that were incredibly rich in culture and wealthy before the Europeans came. Undoubtetly Europeans brougth laws, institutions and technology, but with a high price. Africa is a hellhole because of European colonization, certainly no proper infrastructure was build by Europeans there, or at least anything that would be worth the civil wars and corruption. China was in a mess, and is partly today. Indian and Incan civilizations are all gone. That's quite a history of bloodshed.

European 'subjugation', especially British, was often carried out with the assistance of local elites. I'm not sure how the Europeans "laid waste" to China or India, I suggest you probably need to get a hold of a decent history of both nations. The Chinese and Indians have more than enough blood on their hands. Fifty years of African independence might clue you in on whom the fault for their present predicament really lies. The statute of limitations on blame for their situation is long past.

This sort of berating of Western culture is just self-hatred of the worst kind and is shared by a certain niche of historians. It's naive to think we've been worse than other societies or have had some special dispensation of evil. Our only crime came with harnassing an advanced technology to the same drive for expansion that we share with most other cultures. Keep in mind Western culture has been the first to turn criticism on itself, to understand the importance of emancipation of women, to promote democracy, to push for the secularization of society and on and on.

Someone here may have had a very distant cousin whose head was mounted on a pole on the entrance to some Roman army encampment occupied by an especially obnoxious legionary from central Italy, a distant relative of mine, who afterwards looted his home of all its belongings.

I'd like to apologize for that.

I want to apolgize for not apologiesing earlier, but only if the english speakers apologize for the turment I suffer writting difficult words like apologize. Then I aplogize for massacrating the said words and for my descendent who will prune the hairy martians with his cyborg gatling-egg-thrower. :)

Africa is a hellhole because of European colonization, certainly no proper infrastructure was build by Europeans there, or at least anything that would be worth the civil wars and corruption.

So it's the European's fault that Africa is a 'hell hole' because they didn't build infrastructure? :)

You'd better apologize for defaming that continent's good name! Can I sue for libel on behalf of the Europeans & the African continent?

The Vatican has No business apologizing for that which others had lived. One can only wonder what underlying motive must there be for today in the modern world, for the Vatican to play ignorant of historical facts?

The article isn't on the Vatican apologizing, it's the complete opposite. They're viewing the Crusades in a more positive light and at least one historian at the conference calls the film "The Kingdom of Heaven". From the article;

The Vatican has begun moves to rehabilitate the Crusaders by sponsoring a conference at the weekend that portrays the Crusades as wars fought with the