UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Romans In Ireland ?

• 2 months later...

The promontory fort in Drumanagh, Ireland, although stated as being of Roman appearance, does not appear so to me - there is no evidence as far as I can see of the standard street layout, or of regular, planned layout of ramparts and ditches. It appears to me to be a typical Iron Age fort. Once again, I refer to Google Earth with regard to this - see the image in my gallery and feel free to comment.

The image doesnt appear to have the remotest resemblance to anything Roman, only the accident of nature which lead to its position here gives any regularity. I wonder how much coastline change has occured here?

NN do you have an image for the "new" Flavian find on your home patch?

I am from Ireland. As far as I know the only thing that is even remotley Roman is a Roman trade post found a while back outside Dublin. They found a few Roman Coins and shard of Pottery.

Edited by AEGYPTUS

I am from Ireland. As far as I know the only thing that is even remotley Roman is a Roman trade post found a while back outside Dublin. They found a few Roman Coins and shard of Pottery.

Do you have any local history net links to the "trade post" site?

Here is a link http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/irelan...y/iron_age.html

Go to Roman Influences and Irish Colonies 2nd paragraph it is mentioned. As I said before it was found a good while ago I read about it briefly in the newspaper :blink::o

Thanks AEGYPTUS

Just a side note though, (from the article)

"Finally, it is certain that Ogham, the first written scripts in the Irish language, was based on the Latin alphabet"...

-and-

"Called Ogham script, it consists of a series of grooves on the corner of a stone. Each combination of grooves represents a different letter of the Latin alphabet"

What a wreckless and ill-informed assertion!

Ogham is not 'based' on Latin, it is a completely different writing system; as different from the Latin alphabet as heiroglyphics is from Greek. Just because Christian monks wrote primers for Ogham in Latin doesn't make it based on it. :blink:

My grandfather, in tracing our family liniage made a guess that our name, (meaning "from Jilton") was referencing an old Roman town somewhere in Ireland. I don't know how true this is, lol. Although to look at certain members of our family, it makes sense. We supposedly don't have a drop of Italian blood in us, but my aunt looks far more Italian than Irish. :blink:

My grandfather, in tracing our family liniage made a guess that our name, (meaning "from Jilton") was referencing an old Roman town somewhere in Ireland. I don't know how true this is, lol. Although to look at certain members of our family, it makes sense. We supposedly don't have a drop of Italian blood in us, but my aunt looks far more Italian than Irish. :blink:

Magilton I assume? You could easily have a Spanish gene!

Not to contradict UNRV, but to ask a question. After Patrick escaped didn't he go to Gaul, where he became a bishop and then returned to Ireland to convert the people?

Lost_Warrior, think of Costello and Eamon de Valera and a little sea battle that went wrong for the Spanish.

If you have a drop of Italian blood, you are quite fortunate. Just a drop will improve any race. :blink:

Edited by Gaius Octavius

• 4 weeks later...

I am just trying to quickly get through "Later Roman Britain" by S Johnson (out of print), this gives some weight to the raiding of Britain from Ireland, particularly with the establishment of settlements of Scotti in Wales and Scotland (areas ,of course ,as generally unromanised as the point of origin).

So we must take care on evidential finds in Ireland as they may be inter tribe movement of goods.