UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome: Total War

longbow

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fictional Unit Is the Oliphant i believe, its from the Lord of the rings movie's, you know those Huge Eliphants they attack with in the 3rd movie? its them anyhow.

I think you can only get them via a cheat tho.

And Rome Total War is a great game but it isnt nearly Accurate. Have you tried building a True Roman Legion and Fighting with it? its a Lumbering pile of doggie doo. Also some other units like some Chariots and Hopolites/Spearmen work in no way like they should. There are others but its not worth the posting time :P. this isn't a bad thing tho, remember this is a game and if it was too accurate it wouldnt be half as much fun as it is.

Great game, Buy it!

I wish it was possible to use units and armies from the late empire. How about a late empire expansion where you can play as the Huns, Goths, Vandals and the very different Roman army of the late empire. Imagine getting to use the Roman cataphract heavt cavalry?

Does anyone know if any 'Late Empire' mods exist?

theres 2 realism patches out now,i have the 5.0 patch on my game.Its a cool add on,u start a new campaign game with any of the factions and the map is larger (more eastern countrys).allso,u get more historical battles to choose from and the battle mode looks a lot better.Take a look at this site http://heavengames.com/downloads/lister.ph...ergory=modpacks. L

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Scanderbeg

I was actually dissapointed with the lack of depth, diplomatically, in this game. Medieval had much more depth and the AI seemed to work better. BTW, you would not believe the historical innaccuracies in this game. Luckily there is a Rome Total Realism mod out that adds realistic units, adds to the map, and fixes a bunch of problems. Personally, while RTW maybe an excellent game. There are far too many problems that could have been fixed. A better siege AI could have been nice. The enemy act like dunces when sieging.

More features could have been added to world map. I could go on for an hour however talking about all this. You guys should really look into Rome Total Realism 5.2 or SPQR mod. It fixes the huge problem with Egypt( being completely innaccurate. They use units that were around during The Old Kingdom. Not Ptolmeic Egyptian).Both are great. Also there is a new one coming out soon that will probably outdo them both. Its called Europa Barbaroum(sp?). check out twcenter.net for all the incoming mods and downloads.

BTW, if your going to DL Rome Total realism 5.2 dont forget the patch which makes the game become 5.3. Also make sure you get the Creative Assembly patch first.

Nevertheless, RTW is one of the best games for the PC hands down, no doubt it will have its historical inaccuracies, OF COURSE YOU CREATE THE PAST, by creating your own kingdom. :blink: When i conquered all of Europe with the Pontic armies, do you think that really could have happened in the past? lol

And Rome was far better than Medieval diplomatically, in Medieval all you could do was create alliances or send your princesses to get married to a foreign prince. There are FAR more choices in Rome Total War.

Dont pay attention to historical inaccuracies when you're playing a game, you're playing it to have fun not chew it out for being wrong here and there.

All in all: 12 out of 10. :D

It's been a while since I played but I dusted off my RTW over the weekend, after downloading the latest patch and Rome Total Realism versions.

The new extremely large map is great, and I love unified Rome. Feels much more 'Roman' to me, despite the fact that the end game civil war must be sort of anti-climactic. Anyway, I've been playing as Rome on VH/VH and have been having a hell of a time really getting going. The conquest of Italy seemed easy enough, but now maintaining decent border armies and launching additional campaigns (I've targeted Greece and Macedonia first) is killer on the treasury.

Any financial strategy tips?

Guest Scanderbeg

Did Phyrrus give you any trouble? Yea Conquest seemed easy enough. I would say ignore Macedon and greece for a while. But thats just me. They are killer on the income as you need poweful armies to take em.

If you went against gaul and Iberia you would have a much easier time. Their armies are weaker and Iberia can load you up in cash.

Greece, Asia Minor, Egypt are the places that rake in the most cash. Especially the island of Cyprus, its a major trading port.

Iberia and Gaul are mostly just farming cash, not much trading there. Trading makes far more money in the long run. True though, they are easier to conquer.

Well I'm deep into Macedonia now, so it seems I have to keep going. (Other games I've played I went the route of Carthage and Gaul first) I just wanted to try a bit different strategy. Its been several difficult campaign seasons, but I've got the defenders worn down enough that they should start falling into line soon.

• 2 weeks later...

hey, i dont really feel like making a new thread for this... but has anyone played the Alexander the Great game that came out? made from the movie? it said its got the largest scale battles in it then any other game using over 800 on screen units to represent over like 60,000 i think it said. i saw it a while ago and thought id ask...? id like to get it if my komp was better, i cant even play RTW anymore :P