UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Standard Training

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't know. I remember reading somewhere about marching 20 miles (Roman miles, don't ask me for a conversion. I think it was close to 18 American miles) a day, which could be accomplished in 5 hours. They also took occasionaly 30 mile "pack marches" in which they carried at least 50 pounds of kit with them.

As for fighting, they trained with wooden swords (attacking "dummies" (posts wrapped in...cloth or something) was one of the things they did) and also they trained with pila (usually wooden versions). I've read that they trained with weapons (wooden swords and wicker shields) which were twice the weight of the real ones, with the idea that if they could handle the heavy version they could definitely handle the lighter version easily. My personal opinion is that they would want as close a reproduction of the "real thing" as possible so that in battle they would be fighting with something that handled the same as their practice weapons. They also did formation drills and such.

One source stated that they used a "two days on, one day off" schedule...something like this: the first day was training, and maybe the second day as well, then the third day was spent cleaning weapons and resting"...repeat...etc.

That's all the knowledge on the subject I can scrounge out of my brain for the moment. Hope it helps.

A recruit could expect six months of basic training, including drills, route marches (at least once a week), and weapon practice with items deliberately made heavier than standard issue, in order to build muscles. All the other stuff too- animal care, ablutions, fatigues, artillery skills - It really is an eye-opener to consider just what the average recruit might have learned 2000 years ago.

They were croos trained too,the Legionaries would become proficiant in all the Legions weapons and fighting styles.This would include Slinging training,Archery,riding,swimming,basic medical care, then there's all the building skills they would need for errecting camps and the construction of roads etc...They were highly skilled people.