UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Is Your Favorite Era Of Roman History?

Ursus

What is your favorite era of Roman history?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite era of Roman history?

• Regal Period
    • Early- Middle Republic
    • Late Republic
    • The Principate
    • The Dominate
    • The Byzantine era
    • other

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went for the principiate - but actually the late republic is almost inseparable from it. One cannot underastand the former without the latter.

An interesting poll. I may shed quite a bit of light on this site and its users.

Phil

It was between the Dominate and the Byzantine era, but I chose the Dominate.

I find it more interesting when the Empire isn't at its peak and is surrounded by problems on all fronts. The sheer determination of some of the figures, the desperate situations and the way the tide keeps turning make this period the most interesting for me.

I find the style of government interesting, where the government is military in appearance and where the Emperor has absolute power and wears the diadem and silken imperial purple. I also find it interesting to see the accumulation of so many hundreds of years of Roman government and how different it had evolved from what it originally was, yet still being the same entity.

Edited by Lex

My focus of interest is the Byzantine Era; The longevity of this empire, and it's ability to spring back from disaster, to me embodies the great ideal of Rome. Granted, for every great Emperor, there were a whole spiel of nonentities, but that is the same for all nations.

I voted for early-middle republic (hellenistic) era, and the Byzantine Era as a second. Also the late republic and the principate eras are interesting. Even the dominate era I like. The regal era it's definetly misterious. Hmmmm what you mean by "other"? :lol: