UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

I'm just wondering if the forum software has a mod that would allow to use Greek font like SPIonic in posts?

*I understand that even with that ability, forum members might not be able to see it properly without having that font installed on their own machines, but that can be easy to fix* :rolleyes:

Edited by Pantagathus

Thanks Viggen,

Not a big deal really but sometimes it would be cool (and informative to the aspiring Classical scholars here) when quoting one of the Historians who wrote in Greek to actually show how one of their catch phrases reads in the Greek alphabet.

eg: Polybius' term "Fiery War" for the Spanish conflicts of the 2nd Century, which is Purinos Polemos reads really cool in actual Geek letters

I know, I'm a geek... :rolleyes:

Edited:

Ok, on my computer at least... IE will display the text in my previous post in Greek letters, but not Firefox. Why?

http://www.alanwood.net/demos/symbol.html

A browser like Firefox complies with standards better than IE and cannot display a unicode character like W as a non-unicode greek omega.

You can use this work around:

Although Mozilla-based browsers, such as Firefox or Netscape, attempt to use Adobe standards for rendering symbols, they don't work on most Windows-based computers. To get thse browsers to display letters in the standard Symbol font you need to alter a configuration file called fontEncoding.properties.

1. Change to the directory containing this file. On my system it is located at C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\res\fonts or \Program Files\Netscape\Netscape\res\fonts

2. Open fontEncoding.properties with a text editor such as Notepad.

3. Find the line containing the symbols definition. It should look like:

# Symbol font

encoding.symbol.ttf = Adobe-Symbol-Encoding

4. Comment out the existing line by placing a '#' character at the beginning of the line.

5. Now enter

encoding.symbol.ttf = windows-1252

The result should look like :

# Symbol font

# encoding.symbol.ttf = Adobe-Symbol-Encoding

encoding.symbol.ttf = windows-1252

6. Save the file and restart Firefox or Netscape.

from http://www.jesus.org.uk/vault/_symbol.htm

Or write the Greek characters with the Unicode numeric references listed in the first link.

If you are going to use a specific font, I'd suggest including this info along with it for Firefox users.