UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hannibal Movie

Pertinax

A 90 minute "Hannibal" is being made by the BBC in Bulgaria.

http://www.sidcity.net/gallery/displayimag...?album=91&pos=1

I understand the lead actor is some star trek person.Plenty of production shots on this link.

Edited by Pertinax

He's not a bad actor. He played Feisal (the Alec Guiness role from the David Lean Lawrence film) in a TV movie about TE Lawrence at the Versailles Peace Conference (1919 onwards). Ralph Fiennes was Lawrence.

Phil

Yeah I just saw a trailer for this. It's on on Sunday - I liked the bit where it described the most powerful army on earth (the Romans!), they looked formidable. It should be great, I hope.

I saw it on TV here about a month ago (Weird - we never get things before you guys). I liked it, as far as docu-drama goes. Quite a good budget, with elephants to boot. It's pretty accurate in terms of the major events, although some things are glossed over a bit, not all the battles are represented - Lake Trasimene for example, you only get a few shots of dead Legionaries floating in their own blood in the lake, no actual scenes of the slaughter. Cannae is good though. The guy who played Hannibal was fine, I'd wager better than Vin Diesel is ever going to be although I guess that ain't saying much. His performance became more convincing after losing the eye. You don't really notice how skinny he is. It's worth watching, at least once anyway.

A 90 minute "Hannibal" is being made by the BBC in Bulgaria.

http://www.sidcity.net/gallery/displayimag...?album=91&pos=1

I understand the lead actor is some star trek person.Plenty of production shots on this link.

Looks promising. At least the BBC generally resists the Hollywoodization of its output so hopefully no elephant equivalent of a car chase in this.

Dr. Bashir... DS9

I've seen him play an Algerian ex-terrorist on BBC's MI5

Love MI5, great show.

Too skinny if you aks me but punic looking enough.

Wow, peep at me, I'm writing in Ebonics an' didn't know it 'n $h!t... :D

'Aks' me, ten years on Ft Bragg so I've got a pretty good handle on it. B)

Just finished watching "Hannibal" (BBC version) , my verdict would be " quite reasonable". The story is told reasonably well. A good basic guide without frills, the battle scenes are the usual "corpse in water" if your budget isnt too big, the look of the film is good (costumes/weathering) Where charachterization was attempted it was not bad . Kenneth Cranham (Pompey from HBO) did the voiceover and was a good narrator. Split screen is best left to Sam Peckinpah and not used as a device to make the story "dramatic"-its ok if James Coburn is assaulting a mortar position in the Crimeabut was out of context here.CGI where used (Zama) looked ok.

If its available watch it , but dont break a leg to switch the TV on.

I am not alone: the newspaper reviews seem to come to the conclusion that the production was "curiously flat" , and point out that the CGI was good (widescreen) -plenty of crazed elephants, but switching to live action a handful of smaller and rather less numerous beasts were seen. THe plotting ws odd , Hannibal's suicide was very low key and his long exile as sort of dull coda to the whole thing.

I agree, although I think I have yet to see a "Docu-Drama" that is not somewhat flat, it seems to be in it's nature.

I tend to take what I can get when it comes to visual representations of Roman history.

What did you think of the guy that played Scipio ? I've seeen him in something else, but can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Scipio looked familiar but I cant name him-his part was underwritten and I got the impression he could have been good if given something to sink his teeth into but ,like Hannibal, he was more of a pivot for the action without much beyond surface development of charachter.

I didn't end up watching it. I read the pre-reviews, they didn't seem too promising. I opted for Braveheart instead (I'm slightly regretting that now, as I've seen Braveheart a half dozen times, but I couldn't resist given what the papers said about Hannibal).

I wasnt overly impressed with the costume departments work ;) the cuirass's the Romans wore looked like they were made from cheap plastic,kinda like the ones in a child's costume set.

I thought the Numidian cavalry looked stupid,they didnt even bother to hide the stirrups or the saddles for that matter!

I did like the acting and the CGI work was good,but the best thing about this programme was the documentary that was on just after it last night,did anyone see it?it was a lot better than the drama.

There was a Elephant trainer on the programme who said it would take 8 tons to feed 36 elephants every day!!!Of course Hannibals 36 elephants were a smaller species than his African ones but not that much smaller,how did Hannibal hope to feed them on the journey never mind get them over the Alps?seems ludicrous to even entertain taken the beasts with you.

Of course Hannibals 36 elephants were a smaller species than his African ones but not that much smaller,how did Hannibal hope to feed them on the journey never mind get them over the Alps?seems ludicrous to even entertain taken the beasts with you.

And considering that few survived the crossing and the rest died at or near Trebbia (save perhaps for one), the notion that Hannibal had elephants traipsing all over Italy is ridiculous. Except for Zama, Hannibal never really met a Roman army with a respectable contingency of elephants. Scipio's strategy for defeating the elephants (even if they were poorly trained and under prepared) should be commended rather than dismissed as tactics that were simply old hat. (Understanding that yes they did have experience two generations earlier against Pyrrhus).

I wonder how many elephants will be crushing the Romans at Cannae in the Vin Diesel movie? ;)

[EDIT] woops... I suppose Scipio did face elephants in Hispania. Oh well, I still think he deserves credit for his strategy :)