UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ursus

Hypothetical Feminine Endings

Assume for a moment the empire could have survived long enough into modern times to witness a feminist revolution, wherein women could assume all the government posts heretofore reserved for men.

What would a female Senator be called? Senatrix? How about a female procurator? Vicarious? Comes? Dux? Consul? Praetorian prefect? etc.

Well, I'm honestly not 100% sure...but what is known is that the female counterpart to -tor is -trix, so any title of that variety would follow, I would imagine. Comes is marked with 'common' gender, so it would not change. As for vicarious, dux, consul, and praetorian prefect, they have me thrown. I'm assuming that if they all followed their declensions (hah!), it would be:

vicarious~vicaria

dux~ducta

consul~consula (?--this is a IIIm, so I have no idea what that would be)

prefect~prefecta? (also really unsure of this one)

Well, I'm honestly not 100% sure...but what is known is that the female counterpart to -tor is -trix, so any title of that variety would follow, I would imagine. Comes is marked with 'common' gender, so it would not change. As for vicarious, dux, consul, and praetorian prefect, they have me thrown. I'm assuming that if they all followed their declensions (hah!), it would be:

vicarious~vicaria

dux~ducta

consul~consula (?--this is a IIIm, so I have no idea what that would be)

prefect~prefecta? (also really unsure of this one)

Vicarious is not Latin... It's English, from French, from Latin. Vicarius -> vicaria; there would be no change for comes or consul; praefectus -> praefecta; no change for dux either, but it might be. Dux is short for Ductor, so perhaps you'd see ductrix, but most likely just dux.

Vicarious is not Latin... It's English, from French, from Latin. Vicarius -> vicaria;

Oops...you'd think I'd pick up on that. Too much editing today, I guess :P