UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New Hannibal Film

WotWotius

What do you think?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382731/.

Does it conjure up images of a muscle clad action hero surfing down the Alps on the back of an animatronic elephant while saying something along the lines of 'They call it the Punic War because the Romans are puny!'?

Or maybe we will see a film that's vaguely accurate: Vin is apparently somewhat of a History geek.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just think of what value the movie would gain if just one of us could advise Vin Diesel. Hell I'd work for free.

Does anybody remember there was an early 60s Italian movie of Hannibal? It starred an aging Hollywood star Victor Mature as the one-eyed elephant jockey. I remember even among those cheap Hercules spinnoffs it was pretty bad. They used to run all those old sword & sandal films on local tv on weekends.

• 2 weeks later...

I see in the trades that Hannibal movie release has been pushed to 2008. Vin also knows about Synergy. Here is a piece from Animation World Network about the Hannibal animated tv series, sponsored by Black Entertainment Television.

Vin Diesel & BET Set to Conqueror with Hannibal Toon

July 24, 2006

BET Networks' newly-minted animation unit will join with Vin Diesel's One Race Prods. to produce HANNIBAL THE CONQUEROR, an animated series based on the life of Hannibal of Carthage, universally recognized as the greatest military leader in the history of the world. The project was jointly announced by Diesel and Reginald Hudlin, BET president of entertainment. One Race vp Samantha Vincent and Diesel will exec produce. Last January, BET announced the formation of BET Animation under the management of Denys Cowan, former producer of the hit animated series THE BOONDOCKS.

The series will span the life of Hannibal, from his tutelage as a warrior under his father, the king of Carthage, to his history-making invasions of Spain, England and his legendary scaling of the Alps with his army of elephants. He assembled an army from around the world to challenge the Roman Empire and his techniques and plans are still studied today.

"From my first week at BET, I have been pursuing this project," says Hudlin. "Vin Diesel brings great thought and passion to both character development and storylines, and we are pleased to be the first to be in the animation production business with Vin and One Race Productions. HANNIBAL will be epic storytelling."

"It only took Reginald Hudlin becoming president of entertainment for me to know that BET would be the perfect network to launch a HANNIBAL franchise, the story of the great African general who fought an empire," said Diesel. "Having worked passionately for ten years to develop a film property on Hannibal, this animated series will offer audiences a chance to begin to understand the larger-than-life mythology of this classic figure."

BET Networks, a subsidiary of Viacom Inc. is the nation's leading provider of entertainment, music, news and public affairs television programming for the African-American audience. The primary BET channel reaches more than 81 million households according to Nielsen media research, and can be seen in the U.S., Canada and the Caribbean.

I have a feeling that this film will be just as long, and just as uninteresting as Oliver Stone's Alexander (That film made me lose 4 HOURS of my life; I wrote to Oliver asking for them back, but he hasn't replied yet :) ).

"The series will span the life of Hannibal, from his tutelage as a warrior under his father, the king of Carthage, to his history-making invasions of Spain, England and his legendary scaling of the Alps with his army of elephants. He assembled an army from around the world to challenge the Roman Empire and his techniques and plans are still studied today.

Oh, this is going to be RICH! If anyone has any question in regards to historical accuracy there's the answer right there! I know this is about the cartoon but still, Vin has a hand in this too...

Hamilcar was King of Carthage? :huh:

He invaded Spain? :o

AND England!?! :P

:lol::lol::lol:

"The series will span the life of Hannibal, from his tutelage as a warrior under his father, the king of Carthage, to his history-making invasions of Spain, England and his legendary scaling of the Alps with his army of elephants. He assembled an army from around the world to challenge the Roman Empire and his techniques and plans are still studied today.

Oh, this is going to be RICH! If anyone has any question in regards to historical accuracy there's the answer right there! I know this is about the cartoon but still, Vin has a hand in this too...

Hamilcar was King of Carthage? :huh:

He invaded Spain? :o

AND England!?! :P

:lol::lol::lol:

And sponsorship by the BET will most certainly help perpetuate ethnic revisionist history.

Plautus can you give us a link to where you found that press release? It's frightening how bad it is.

A quote from Vin Diesel...

"I knew that BET would be the perfect place to launch an animated series that celebrates an African mythology and a general that is probably the most notorious general of all time," Diesel said. "It's a story that resonates with everyone--it truly is a celebration of a general who is able to bring everyone together with the common cause to essentially fight for freedom."

The notion that Hannibal was fighting for freedom against the evil Romans is ludicrous. His goal was revenge, conquest and glory, not some twisted notion of Spartacus like freedom for the opressed. Revisionism makes my ass wobble.

[edit] sure the Romans weren't exactly the most easy going neighbors, but Hannibal's siege of Saguntum and invasion of Italy is what doomed his own nation.

A quote from Vin Diesel...

"I knew that BET would be the perfect place to launch an animated series that celebrates an African mythology and a general that is probably the most notorious general of all time," Diesel said. "It's a story that resonates with everyone--it truly is a celebration of a general who is able to bring everyone together with the common cause to essentially fight for freedom."

There is no emoticon for what I want to say to this... :lol:

He was able to bring people together due to MONEY. Money that came from exploiting the resources of Iberia...

African Mythology?!?! What in the hell does a general of Phoenician (Semitic) decent have to do with African myth.

Oh, I just answered my own question... :P

Must ....resist...temptation..to..blow..brains...out! What a feckin' retard!!

EDIT: The only way the public will know the truth is via sites like this, we're the light. Perhaps a lively Hannibal discussion on whether or not Hannibal was black, and why is it important anyway. His succesful 1066AD invasion of England and his rise to the Carthaginian throne!

Edited by P.Clodius