UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Carved Stone Still Unexplained After More Than A Century

In 1872, so the story goes, workers digging a hole for a fence post near Lake Winnipesaukee in Meredith found a lump of clay that seemed out of place. There was something inside -- a dark, odd-looking, egg-shaped stone with a variety of carvings, including a face, teepee, ear of corn and star-like circles. And there were lots of questions: Who made the stone and why? How old was it? How was it carved? To date, no one's been able to say for sure, and the item has come to be known as the "Mystery Stone."

full article at Boston.com

Image of the stone can be seen here

http://www.nhhistory.org/museumexhibits/my...ysterystone.htm

Very neat, I hadn't heard of it before. However, I suspect that it's simply a beautiful piece of 19th Century artwork...

Yes, mysterious origin or not, all evidence seems to suggest a fairly recent origin. Other claims indicating more distant beginnings have a stench of being misleading or perhaps even deliberate forgery.

Did i read in the paper today that archaeologists believe that a rock carving found somewhere in America depicts a supernova exploding in 1006 (one of, if not the, brightest event ever seen from earth).

This may suggest considerable antiquity in carving in the New World.

Phil

Very neat, I hadn't heard of it before. However, I suspect that it's simply a beautiful piece of 19th Century artwork...

Yes, mysterious origin or not, all evidence seems to suggest a fairly recent origin. Other claims indicating more distant beginnings have a stench of being misleading or perhaps even deliberate forgery.

Are you referring to the one in the Scorpius constellation? Bad science.

Are you referring to the one in the Scorpius constellation? Bad science.

No not really... only a simple observation that people seem to have a tendency to add many years to such things that are "mysterious" in origin.