UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Iron Age Villagers 'behind Times'

Iron Age villagers living in west Somerset were 'behind the times' according to evidence unearthed by a team of archaeologists.The team has been investigating the site at Maundown Water Treatment works near Wiveliscombe. Six round houses dating back to 100 BC have been revealed by the dig. A site of this age should show signs of square Roman houses but the existence of only round houses shows the village was behind the times in property style.

full article at the BBC

Typical provincials, no style. :whistling:

I am a little confused (as usual). Why would the Brits of 100 BC have Roman style houses?

Back to 100 BC covers a multitude of sins.

I am a little confused (as usual). Why would the Brits of 100 BC have Roman style houses?

Thank you for clearing up the matter. A door knob could have given me that bit of intelligence, Your Grace.

Thank you for clearing up the matter. A door knob could have given me that bit of intelligence, Your Grace.

Interesting , you communicate with inanimate objects? You might therefore help me find my Devonshire Arms cufflinks, they are hiding from me. :huh:

Perhaps the iron age pre-invasion housebuilding scene was aware of Roman fads and sophistry, but trusted the old fashioned clachan ,as warm and reliable, if a little dowdy and dung tainted.

Perhaps the iron age pre-invasion housebuilding scene was aware of Roman fads and sophistry, but trusted the old fashioned clachan ,as warm and reliable, if a little dowdy and dung tainted.

Yeah, it's called retro.

AS an aside I note that this "round hut" is still very much in evidence as a local style dwelling attached to late (3rd C AD)period forts.De la Bedoyere suggests it remained the norm for the ordinary Briton, this doesnt mean that the absence of Roman influence, but probably has quite a lot to do with a tried and trusted defence against the ghastly climate.

Back to the point in the article, gentlemen. B) Why would the Brits going back to 100BC have a Roman style abode?

Yes, there must be an error in the article. They are describing it as a Romano-British village, which is simply wrong for 100 BC, whatever the style of the houses. My guess it should be 100 AD and the BBC staff writer didn't know the difference.

You must understand that the BBC is run from a small thatched cottage in Thames Ditton (Surrey), it does not recognise any localities north of Chesham (Buckinghamshire), functions as a sort of liberal situationalist happening (on lysurgic acid) and has no concept of the Christian faith or its calendrical incantations.

I therefore reinforce the remark made by AD, but with ill concealed loathing.

Ahhh, that must explain why they so eagerly syndicate Bosnian Pyramid articles and claim that Septimius Severus was a "Black Roman".

Cut them some slack. The BBC also write a very good History Magazine (actually written by historians, not the ignoramus' mentioned above).

Click here for further details.

Edited by WotWotius

Ahhh, that must explain why they so eagerly syndicate Bosnian Pyramid articles and claim that Septimius Severus was a "Black Roman".

Cut them some slack. The BBC also write a very good History Magazine (actually written by historians, not the ignoramus' mentioned above).

Not to be too officious, but aren't you on the BBC's payroll? :D

:)

Not to be too officious, but aren't you on the BBC's payroll? :D

:)

...yes...they pay me in games...your point? :)