UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome And Usa.

WotWotius

Before you all start penalise me about my choice of topic, I would like to say that I am well aware of the fact that comparing the power of Rome to that of the US is clich

Edited by WotWotius

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before making that comparison it would have been well to check around.

Here's how The US stands in regard to infant mortality, not a pretty picture.

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbo...r/2091rank.html

About 40 million of US citizens here have no health insurance.

For too many years there's been too much Empire building and too little attention paid to the Empire's citizens.

Edited by Ludovicus

Can some one show me a map of this American Empire because i cant find one anywhere.I like to see world maps of an Empire's territtory so i know how much land is under there control (not influence,control).

Roman Empire.

romanempirerc5.th.jpg

British Empire.

britishempiresh1.th.jpg

Longbow

Before making that comparison it would have been well to check around.

Here's how The US stands in regard to infant mortality, not a pretty picture.

Yes, infant mortality is clearly the most important and first criteria that should be reviewed upon determining a nation's influential status. :)

Let's see 6.4 per 1,000 in the USA vs. 5.1 in the EU. Gracious me oh my, the horror of it all!!!

Can some one show me a map of this American Empire because i cant find one anywhere.I like to see world maps of an Empire's territtory so i know how much land is under there control (not influence,control).

Roman Empire.

romanempirerc5.th.jpg

British Empire.

britishempiresh1.th.jpg

Longbow

Well its not really territorial, but, in its military arsenal is the worlds biggest aircraft carrier...the UK!

Edited by P.Clodius

"American superiority in all matters of science, economics, industry, politics, business, medicine, engineering, social life, social justice, and of course, the military was total and indisputable.

I tend to disagree on the following criterias, social life? huh? social justice? huh? I dont even know what that should be, how is the USA`s social life or social justice superior? and to whom and to what standard?

Military i am not going to argue, no doubt about it...

Science? well it is a fact that the USA is since the 80s on a steady decline (although from a very high standard) regarding publishing scientific literature, physics journals, nobel prize awardees, etc etc..

While the USA might still lead on many areas, they are way behind the perception the average american has... (This does not come out of my brain but from articles in the NY Times and the Science (both US papers)... Now dont get me wrong, europe is in not a much better (even worse shape, but at least we aknowledge this or so it seems)

All matters of medicine? I dont buy that for one second, same with engineering, industry and business, because if the rest of the world would suck so bad, why would the USA buy so much more from other countries then the other countries from the USA?

Politics? (well probably if you have the strongest army in the world then that would go hand in hand of course and cant be argued as a single achievement, but just happend because of military powers)...

So to sum this up, yes the USA is leading in most things, but no way having (expetion military) a total superiority in anything other then baseball and american football :)

cheers

viggen

because if the rest of the world would suck so bad, why would the USA buy so much more from other countries then the other countries from the USA?
The fat cats realize there is less overhead to do it that way...

other then baseball and american football
Uh, Viggen remember we suck at Baseball now too... We got knocked out of the baseball World Cup

nobel prize awardees

Personally I don't give a rat's ass what nation is leading in what category especially considering the rather subjective nature of the original quote, but arbitary selection of trophy winners wouldn't be on my list of criteria, hehe.

Here is my favorite peace prize winner... 1994

well. peace price was not was i was talking about, and apart from that (nobel price) is just one of many criterias...

The fat cats realize there is less overhead to do it that way...

Sorry dont understand why buying more goods from other countries then selling own goods to other countries is less overhead...

To get back to the initial question, "if" you want to really compare USA to Roman Empire (which is nonsense anyway), where would you think then it is in 2006 compared to the Roman Empire of the past? 100 BC? 100 AD? 400AD?

cheers

viggen

Sorry dont understand why buying more goods from other countries then selling own goods to other countries is less overhead...
Because to sell your own goods means that you have to produce your own goods.

Producing your own goods means you have to pay for your worker's wages, healthcare, etc... as well as lease/own real estate for factories/facilities, which has more insurance costs, utilities costs, etc... So 'they' decide it's more profitable to make that some other countries problems.

America is going to get to the point were we are entirely a service based economy if we haven't already gotten there. We are loosing professionalism like a college student looses brain cells.

We will reach a point where there will be exceptionally few able to buy the so-called imported goods.

As Viggen says, this is silly, but good. Not even the Romans were tops at EVERYTHING. Those Greeks still had a few good things to say for themselves.

Things are really going to Hades in a handbag though. The House of Representatives cafeteria has reverted to FRENCH toast and FRENCH fries! Can you credit it? And by the super patriots!

Edited by Gaius Octavius