UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Domesday Book

The "Nation's finest Treasure" or if you are a Saxon , a gross invasion of privacy by hated Norman overlords :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

can now be referenced online.

According to the National Archives, the book was voted the "nation's finest treasure" last year. But research commissioned to celebrate the online launch showed nearly 2 per cent think the Domesday Book is a novel by Dan Brown, and 13 per cent believe it is a chapter in the Bible.

...you gotta love the general public!

One person thought Tony Blair wrote it! ;)

I did a search of my home town and its not listed,the closest town is Normanlay (Normanebi) in Yorkshire.I guess the people of Normanebi didnt fight against the Norman invaders,it sounds like a Norman settlement(traitors :D ).

Longbow

Edited by longbow

Perhaps trivial, but its so intriguing to see one's surname (or at least the origin of) in existence for a millenium.

Heaton in the Domesday Book

A true Yorkshire name ! You are a Brigantine!

The settlement of veterans (Ribchester ) was going strong :

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search/....x=0&go.y=0

But I'm a Saxon!

Now if I could only figure out which branch sallied forth to the new world I could lay my rightful claim to the family crest, coat of arms and of course hereditary lands. Alas.

If all else fails, I could just get a boat, assemble a clan of naturally violent fellows and retake said lands in the historical tradition of my migrating ancestors!

But I'm a Saxon!

Now if I could only figure out which branch sallied forth to the new world I could lay my rightful claim to the family crest, coat of arms and of course hereditary lands. Alas.

If all else fails, I could just get a boat, assemble a clan of naturally violent fellows and retake said lands in the historical tradition of my migrating ancestors!

Slaughter, rapine , plunder, pillage (burning of sacred places) etc etc all the traditional folkways! our homely customs are all lost. You may have to gruesomely murder any surviving male heirs to your fiefdom and enslave their womenfolk, do you feel lucky?

Slaughter, rapine , plunder, pillage (burning of sacred places) etc etc all the traditional folkways! our homely customs are all lost. You may have to gruesomely murder any surviving male heirs to your fiefdom and enslave their womenfolk, do you feel lucky?

Unfortunately, chances of success while avoiding detection by the UK military is probably a bit slim. However, we will have the advantage of surprise on our side. Of course feel free to forewarn any friends in the Bolton area of our impending arrival (while maintaining the afore mentioned pivotal element of surprise of course). To ease any concern regarding wider implications to the local population, we will probably limit the takeover to the Hanging Heaton area, simply because it is so aptly named for such an expedition.

Now if anyone is familiar with cross Atlantic voyages via the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Seaway on small wooden boats, you will be richly rewarded with sheep and metallic icons of some yet to be determined nature.

I take it that Ribchester was the ancestral home of Adam.

Egads...that was bad :)

Judge for yourself!

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...d=si&img=74