UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Casualty Figures.

I remember reading about a Roman Inscription in Britain (RIB) that gives a list of how many dead and how many wounded a Roman cohort experienced during a skirmish. If memory serves me correctly, I think it was from the time of Hadrian.

Does anybody know of such an inscription?

If its Hadrianic then the best collections of inscriptions/altars/offerings are at:

Alavanna Carvetorium (Maryport), Luguvallum (Carlisle) and Cilvrinvm (Chesters).(As far as I am aware)

http://www.roman-britain.org/maps.htm

you can browse localities from the main maps , each locality has an inscription/dedication section pertinent to it-what is the possible location do you know (or the location of the incident)? Vindolanda/Vircovicium are the other likely choices.

WW was your query regarding a dedication to " A Centurion Killed in the War? "-this might sound vague, but it is a very well known dedication to a border raid incident from around 120 AD.

That is an amazing site. I didn't know Rome went that far north!

"that far North" is where I am! :)

WW was your query regarding a dedication to " A Centurion Killed in the War? "-this might sound vague, but it is a very well known dedication to a border raid incident from around 120 AD.

No, the incription was actually a list of casualty figures; I would be able to give you more information if I still had my sourcebook. But thank you for your help.

This site is probably the most useful site on the internet regarding Roman Britain. It really helped me (aas did this site) with the various essays and exams I had to do for college.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a book you might want to look up: It's called Roman Warfare and the author is Adrian Goldsworthy, it's basically a short summary of the Roman military from the founding of Rome to it's end. It has, in the appendix, some strength returns from some random Cohort they found... somewhere :suprise: . It also has lots of great battle maps, and (Roman) world maps.