UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bkunit

"Golden Age"

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone can enlighten me on the "Golden Age" of Roman Empire.

In what way and to what degree did certain factors contribute to this civilization's peak and how did these factors allow the civilization to prosper?

What role did environmental, ecological, technological factors play in this civilzation

Lastly, how one specific group of factors affected or shaped this civilization as a whole?

Thanks

Depending on who you talk to, rome had quite a few golden ages.

Hello bkunit and welcome to UNRV! :)

As kama said, what do you understand as the golden age?

Maybe the period of the five good emperors?

cheers

viggen

The golden age most often refers to the reign of Augustus. A time when republican ideals still flourished within the community, and the arts and literature were abundant. Aside from the Varrus disaster, the Roman world was relatively peaceful and the economy was booming.

Those questions sound like essay test questions.

I know about their Ecology/Agriculture/Architecture

I don't know a great deal of facts about Roman Empire, however.

I'm refering the the time of Augustus/Caesar.

there are several golden ages..

some describe the greatness of the era, others how great a particular aspect was

there is also one in mythology... Saturn (cronos in greek myths) had a golden age. Unfortunatly i dont know much about that

As has been said above, Rome experienced several "golden ages", and i don't just mean the Empire until the fall of the west, i include the Byzantine Empire in this.

As was said above, it could refer to the stability achieved by Augustus and the powerful system he established.

It could refer to Rome after Trajan; with the conquests of Dacia, Parthia etc added to the Empire, Rome had reached it's height of power, prestige and glory.

It could refer to the age of Diocletian, Aurelian and Constantine, the restorers of the empire and the ones who wrought great change.

It could refer to the time of Justinian's reconquest of the west and his revamping of the Empire's laws.

It could refer to the stability and power achieved under Basil II "Bulgaroktonos".

The Longevity of the Roman Empire has allowed for several great ages; and all can be considered golden.

Hmm, these topic questions seem remarkably pre-set....

Edited by Tobias

The Pax Romana established by Augustus and lasting until the Crisis of the Third Century is probably the longest stretch of prosperity and relative peace the Western world has ever known. Truly a golden age if there ever was one.

As to mythology Roman Myth tells how after Jupiter overthrew his father as king of the Gods, Saturn lived on earth and taught men agriculture and other useful things. Such is the basis of the Saturnalia celebrations.