UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Weapons Glossary

Pertinax

This is quite a handy and straightforward link for those with a liking for pointy , dangerous things. I was just looking for any contemporary manufacturer of small ("pocket" ) saex's (saex/sax/seax/scramseax) and dropped into the link.Those of you with an interest in the more obscure Eastern (Burma, Indonesia etc)bladed weapon designs will find this a good starting point.

http://www.youandwhosearmy.co.uk/youandwhosearmy/weapons.asp

and yes I did find someone who makes them:

http://www.jelldragon.com/specials/spec1161.htm

and also the wonderfully named "saxonviolence"

http://www.saxonviolence.co.uk/

(sings" brown paper packages tied up with string, these are a few of my favourite weapon systems" :tank:

post-1-1160630497.ipb

post-1-1160630497.ipb

post-1-1160630497.ipb

post-1-1160630497.ipb

post-1-1160630497.ipb

Neat link.

I'm sort of questioning your potential saex source though. Damascus steel? Thought even to this day it's exact composition was still a mystery. ;)

Blade has a very nice temper though.

I think thats a bit of "creative " artistry , I am going to ask this chap if he can produce one -I have the bowie and the skinning knife , they are magnificent :

http://www.shopping-emporium.co.uk/hunting...hing_knives.htm

My Armoury is a excellent source for info on any type of Blade,less so on Armour but there's some.There's a lot of well writen articles and the Forums a wealth of information,a bit like around here ;) .

Broken Back Saex.

Gladius article.

I like weapons used by the common man,just simple killing tools no fancy decorations,allthough a nice welded pattern blade is desirable.If im going to buy a weapon it might as well be a good quality blade even if the quality of the blade makes it unrealistic,i'll live with it :) .

I would love to own this.

patternweldedgladiusci3.th.jpg

A more exotix weapon i like is the Indian Gunstock war club :oops: ,after seeing D.D Lewis's dad use one in the movie 'Last of the Mohicans',i dont have one of these but i'd love one!

gunstockwarclubof9.th.jpg

Edited by longbow

The armoury link is top notch Longbow, nice Saex article as well , I really like the look of the broken backed "mid sized" knives (the small 3 inch blades look a bit too "fat" , but the 7-10 inch weapons look very neat).

Nowadays you would get a 440 gauge stainless as standard , that would be a serviceable item.

post-1-1160630497.ipb The Glorious Spitfire.

post-1-1160630497.ipb You've got to make your first swing count or your dead :whistling: .

post-1-1160630497.ipb LRDG,the first SAS troopers.

post-1-1160630497.ipb Shieldwall.

post-1-1160630497.ipb A nice shield.

Edited by longbow

I can't believe I missed this site!!!

www.museumreplicas.com is top notch! I've seen their stuff, it's great.

www.badgerblades.com has gotten good reviews as well. They have an awesome guarantee on thier stuff, and I hear it's really great.

As for damascus, well there is decent modern pattern welded material available. (My mentor knows how to make it, I may learn to :whistling:) however there is some "damascus" available that is junk, and will literally fall apart in your hand. I think the key is the price, if you can get a damascus knife for $5 chances are it will fall apart. Good pattern welded (Damascus) steel goes for hundreds of $$ usually.