UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Greatest Caesar

I have a few choices. I have always loved the Divine Julius so I could go with him. Trajan wasn't bad, was the last emperor to spread the boundaries of the Empire, and hell, you can't go wrong with one of the Five Good Emperors. Also, I have a lot of respect for Constantine, even though he gets alot of bashing from revisionists these days.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nerva and Antoninus did completely unobtrusive "safe hands" work, indeed Nerva (although short lived) is a pivotal figure in ensuring stability and continuity ( a capable senator and pro-Flavian), I dont think I can make a choice as to who is "best" , but I urge consideration of these two unspectacular achievers.

During his reign, Nerva was by no means in a sound position. Though Tacitus would have us believe that his rule was catalyst for a 'golden age', Nerva faced great opposition from the Praetorian guard: Casperius Aelianus, commander of the guard, practically imprisoned Nerva in the Imperial palace, demanded the handing over of Domitian's assassins, and killed them almost in front of Nerva. Nerva escaped the ordeal unharmed, but, his position was severely weakened - had Nerva not adopted Trajan as his successor we may well have seen a repeat of the 'year of the four emperors' - therefore, Nerva had to resort to public handouts and tax reform as a desperate means of gaining popular support.

Keep in mind that by in large, senators and senators wrote the history books. Nerva's reign is only interpreted as a 'golden age' due to fact that was highly respectful towards the senate, and he was not Domitian - human nature dictates that man tends to like rulers that do not kill them!

Did Nerva face 'great opposition' from the guard - or were they just carrying out the wishes of Aelianus that the killers of Domitian be sought and excecuted ?

I agree that he was looked on favourably by the Senate simply by virtue of the fact that he was not Domitian, but I guess that's also why he's worthy of consideration.

Did Nerva face 'great opposition' from the guard - or were they just carrying out the wishes of Aelianus that the killers of Domitian be sought and excecuted ?

I agree that he was looked on favourably by the Senate simply by virtue of the fact that he was not Domitian, but I guess that's also why he's worthy of consideration.

Seeing that Domitian was the first Roman Emperor since the time of Augustus to give all branches of the Roman military a pay rise, I think there was a degree of personal incentive in the guards