UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"The Da Vinci Code" and Roman Catholicism

brotus maximus

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so in relation to all this what do you think of the divinci code???? any one like to give their opinians and thoughts about it???

I would basically launch the 20th crusade on Dan Brown.

Seriously, I would burn the bơok like the Nazi's.

Just kidding, all I know is that the Catholic Church is the most reformed and ever changing Church in parallel to a volatile society. Our past is controversial as is any other story of power, however in the present, people do whatever they want.

so in relation to all this what do you think of the divinci code???? any one like to give their opinians and thoughts about it???

Here is my opinion. I say this as an Orthodox believer.

The Da Vinci Code was made as a scam so Mr. Brown can make some money. On the day his movie was released, 65 million dollars went into his bank account. Currently he is under allegations from the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail, Holy Bible. If you've read the book you can blatanly see that his date for the Priory of Zion is completely wrong. His facts page is nothing more than intrigue to atract people.

In 2003 he was interviewed by CNN when it newly came out. When they asked him if it was a fictional or factual book he replied, "If it was a fictional book it would read the same."

In 2006 recently when asked by 60 minutes on CBS the same question he replied, "Everything in this book is fact."

The books says fictional on it, yet he has a facts page. He also makes a claim that the Dead Sea Scrolls were founded in the 1950's. The truth is it was found in 1947. Now we see how Dan Brown can't get his dates right, he can't get his facts straight!

This guy is a class act.

I've never actually read the book, and really don't intend to. From what I've heard of it, it does seem to take a few liberties.

However, at the heart of the matter is a different view on Christianity from what the Roman Catholic Church sanctions. A Gnostic view. Gnosticism is slowly gaining ground again. Seems to be the perfect version of Christianity for those who want Christ but don't want the patriarchy and rigid church hierarchy. Perhaps a discussion of ancient Gnosticism and its modern revival could prove informative and entertaining.

I have not read the book, yet I am not intend to, but I saw the movie.

But I am wondering was Constantine a pagan as the story stated?

He was a pagan for most of his life until his vision, though he still remained pagan(for political reasons) until shortly before his death, he was converted and baptised into Christianity. However for most of his life, you betcha he acted more like a Christian than a pagan, as close as you get.

Another thing, you can say for all of his lfie, he was a Christian thanks to his Christian mother Helena and he was also like his father, tolerating Christians. So his life was essentially connected with Christianity, especially when you live in the Eastern half of the Empire alot.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

I have not read the book, yet I am not intend to, but I saw the movie.

But I am wondering was Constantine a pagan as the story stated?

He was a pagan for most of his life until his vision, though he still remained pagan(for political reasons) until shortly before his death, he was converted and baptised into Christianity. However for most of his life, you betcha he acted more like a Christian than a pagan, as close as you get.

Another thing, you can say for all of his lfie, he was a Christian thanks to his Christian mother Theodora and he was also like his father, tolerating Christians. So his life was essentially connected with Christianity, especially when you live in the Eastern half of the Empire alot.

Constantine had his wife and son crispus murdered not very christian is it ;)

Also i thought his mother was called Helena not Theodora.. anyway Constantine was a pagan and like FVC said mainly for political reasons

For my part, I thought the book was a great thriller; it got my attention immediately and kept it all the way through, which seems to be rare anymore. Of course, I came to the book with the notion that it was/is a fictional historical thriller. Once people start reading too much into any piece of literature, then it loses its value.

Also, at the time that I read it (in 2003), I was trying to find Medieval texts to look at for my dissertation, it opened my eyes to the Gnostic gospels and the like; for this, Dan Brown should be commended. It brought back into light texts which are so valuable on so many levels, not solely theological ones. As one who was raised Catholic, you don't ever hear about the alternative stories which didn't make it into the modernly-known Bible. It makes one question the stories you're told, and want to delve more into the history of the Church, and that is not an insignificant thing. Anything which pushes people to learn more about and question their culture, their religion, or their ancestors is a good thing.

As for the bru-ha-ha that the Roman Catholic clergy emitted...meh, whatever. I don't know anyone who blindly followed the Church's statements to the letter...although plenty exist even in my parish, let alone in other parts of the country and of the world. Then again, I'm of the firm opinion that sheep will blindly follow their shepherd...even if it's into a ditch.

As Ursus alluded to earlier, the only reason people see the Gnostic bibles as something good is because it encompases three religion, Christianity, Judaism, and Paganism. It's set out to pit conspiracy and to try to mess with the canon of the church.

Apologize for my opinionated posts.

By the way, I got Dave Brown's book from the library and some guy tried to sell me the movie in New York City. So how legitimate he is...

Edited by Rameses the Great

For my part, I thought the book was a great thriller; it got my attention immediately and kept it all the way through, which seems to be rare anymore. Of course, I came to the book with the notion that it was/is a fictional historical thriller.

I'll ditto that. I don't understand why all these people opposed it as they did. It's a ficticious book. Who cares if someone pokes at religion? He wrote it to make money, not to bring the church down. Jeez, I watched DOGMA, with Jay and Silent Bob. Now that was entertainment, how many people do you s'pose took that movie seriously? Anywho, I could barely put the book down. I haven't read anything that exciting in a while. The last good mystery I've read was an old Hardy Boys book. I loved the puzzles and historical interminglings too. Every detail in the book had a purpose. One of my favs.