• The Great Pyramids of Giza
    • The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
    • The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
    • The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
    • The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
    • The Colossus of Rhodes
    • The Lighthouse of Alexandria

Some interesting facts I think you guys know about:

Of the ancient wonders only one is a current wonder and still exist today, the Pyramids of Giza.

Man fears time, time fears the pyramids. --Arab Proverb

Five of the ancient wonders are of Hellenic influence. The last five are from Greek ideas and architecture.

but I would have thought that the Colossus of Rhodes must have been breathtaking to see, I think you could barely wrap your arms around its thumb.

Simple enough logic that has convinced me to add a vote.

The ironic thing about Giza is that because it's still there, its left so much less to our imagination I think. To see them in their full splendor may have had an effect on that outlook however.

The ironic thing about Giza is that because it's still there, its left so much less to our imagination I think. To see them in their full splendor may have had an effect on that outlook however.

That's what I feel, too. For me, it's the lighthouse at Alexandria, for the sheer numbers of volumes, the history of it, and the supposed construction. Then again, I was always a bit more partial to books :P

For me, it's the lighthouse at Alexandria, for the sheer numbers of volumes, the history of it, and the supposed construction. Then again, I was always a bit more partial to books

Huh? Why would they keep books at the lighthouse of Alexandria when there was a well-known library of Alexandria nearby?

For me, it's the lighthouse at Alexandria, for the sheer numbers of volumes, the history of it, and the supposed construction. Then again, I was always a bit more partial to books

Huh? Why would they keep books at the lighthouse of Alexandria when there was a well-known library of Alexandria nearby?

I'm confused...wasn't the library part of the lighthouse?

So it would be easier to read at nighttime?

This is exactly how I feel... and also why I didn't vote for the Colossus. I think the Statue of Liberty can give us an idea of what it would have been like.

For me, I voted for Pheidias' Zeus. Considering it's size and the amount of precious metal & stone that adorned it, it must have been breathtaking.

I choose the pyramids, but with the Great Wall of Beijing, China in my mind.

Should the Great Wall be the greatest? It is the only one construction by human being that can be seen out of space.

The Great Wall that we are familiar with today... stone walls with battlements etc., was built between the 14th and 17th centuries and really isn't comparable to the ancient "wonders of the world". There is also much debate about the wall being visible from space. I won't go into all the details here, but wikipedia provides a good introduction.

Should the Great Wall be the greatest? It is the only one construction by human being that can be seen out of space.

The Great Wall that we are familiar with today... stone walls with battlements etc., was built between the 14th and 17th centuries and really isn't comparable to the ancient "wonders of the world". There is also much debate about the wall being visible from space. I won't go into all the details here, but wikipedia provides a good introduction.

I guess I am more familiar with Chinese history than you. The Great Wall was built in the Qin Dynasty (around 3th century BC). The later parts of the wall was built in 14th century in Ming Dynasty. It was built because there were battles between states so Qin Shi Huangdi built it in order to defend his state from the attack of the others. Is it ancient enough?

I guess I am more familiar with Chinese history than you. The Great Wall was built in the Qin Dynasty (around 3th century BC). The later parts of the wall was built in 14th century in Ming Dynasty. It was built because there were battles between states so Qin Shi Huangdi built it in order to defend his state from the attack of the others. Is it ancient enough?

Yes I am well aware of the wall's history. What I am suggesting is that the original wall, which is no longer visibile (it was essentially a large earthwork rampart), was not nearly as impressive as its more modern counterpart. I hardly find a rammed earth barrier to be equivelant (no matter how long and effective it may have been) to the other 'wonders' in cultural grandness and/or engineering achievement.

Yes I am well aware of the wall's history. What I am suggesting is that the original wall, which is no longer visibile (it was essentially a large earthwork rampart), was not nearly as impressive as its more modern counterpart. I hardly find a rammed earth barrier to be equivelant (no matter how long and effective it may have been) to the other 'wonders' in cultural grandness and/or engineering achievement.

okay I understand. It's my mistake, I have misunderstood your viewpoints. Just trying to make a suggestion, since I am a Chinese and I would like to help to build the name of my own nation.