UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Emperor Overview

Neeoth

I've just been four days in Rome, my second trip, and have delved further into the complex history of the city. While sitting in the forum, with an Oxford acheological guide in mye hand, looking at the ruins of the temple of the defied Gaeus Julius Caesar (upon the altar lay quite a few bouquets of roses, a nice touch I thought), I wondered where I could get my hands on the BEST book on the Roman Emperors, starting with Caesar (or Octavian, whatever). I'm looking for a complete record of their respectable reigns, or as complete as possible. Any insights on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm hungering for more info to feed my endelss appetite for ancient roman history :thumbsup:

I've just been four days in Rome, my second trip, and have delved further into the complex history of the city. While sitting in the forum, with an Oxford acheological guide in mye hand, looking at the ruins of the temple of the defied Gaeus Julius Caesar (upon the altar lay quite a few bouquets of roses, a nice touch I thought), I wondered where I could get my hands on the BEST book on the Roman Emperors, starting with Caesar (or Octavian, whatever). I'm looking for a complete record of their respectable reigns, or as complete as possible. Any insights on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm hungering for more info to feed my endelss appetite for ancient roman history :thumbsup:

If you want to get an insight into the personality of the Emperors, you need the The Twelve Caesars , written by the contemporary biographer, Suetonius.

Alternately, you could read it online here.

I hope that was of some use to you.

Thanx, that's great - - - nothing like original litterature to further my knowledge :thumbsup:

Also, it would be awesome if any one could point to comprehensive books written on emperors, in terms of wars fought, territory conquered, buildings dedicated, and family life. What I'm looking for is to get a feel not only of their respective personalities, but also their accomplishments. Now, obviously, I've read everything on Wikipedia on the emperors, but that's not quite "deep" enough. Also, I'd like to read dedicated biographies of seperate emperors (like the one written by Goldsworthy on Ceasar- - - I just read In The Name of Rome and found is incredibly well written and addicitve), but for the time being, I really would like a comprehensive overview of emperors. So keep any ideas coming :)

Vow, that's awesome. I hope that last one by Grant is not TOO hard to come by; right now I'm reading his "History of Rome", and he sure knows how to write and make such a vast topic highly readable!

Thanx for the input :thumbsup:

As well as the above, which are all staples, if you have access to a good library - or plenty of money to throw around - you can do a lot worse than slog through The Cambridge Ancient History, Vol X, probably in its original edition edited by Charlesworth, Adcock and Cook. You may be able to pick this up at a second hand bookstore too. I progressed to this tome following Suetonius' Lives (The Twelve Caesars), and it covers pretty much all the areas you mention - personality of the Julio-Claudian emperors; achievements - social and military; expansion policy - everything. It will give you a good grounding from which to explore further with more detailed monographs.

Don't be put off by the size of the volumes in the CAH. They are very accessible to the layman and come with a host of extras, such as maps, volumes of plates etc. I still use my Volume X for quick reference whenever I want to check a long-forgotten fact.

Hope this helps.

I have the _Chronicle of the Roman Emperors_ which PP mentioned. It's is a nice summary of the emperors.

However, I believe the best way to learn about historical figures are to buy separate biographies on them written by the "experts" in the field. I just read an excellent treatment of Aurelian which offered more insights than some little snippet in a compendium could offer.

Once you have the FACTS established, you might find some of the fiction fun to read. It can bring the dry and dusty chronicles to life and many fictional works are based on very full research.

Allan Massie has done volumes on Antony, Caesar, Augustus, Tiberius and Caligula.

Robert Graves, "I Claudius" was written by a man deeply immersed in his sources.

Margaret Yourcenar did a much lauded volume on Hadrian.

Coleen McCullough has done a huge six volume "saga" on the fall of the Republic which brings what I had always found a complex mess, very much to life. this series begins with "The First Man in Rome" about Marius and Sulla. these books are deeply fawed (the author is obviously besotted with Caesar) but are based on deep research and the voluminous notes at the back of each of the six titles are a resource in their own right.

One of the fascinating things about fiction is that it can explore alternative readings of history and bring enigmatic characters to life. Historians need to be cautious, but novelists can speculate and suggest different readings. I find such books stimulating and they send one back to the sources with renewed dedication and interest.

Phil

Thanks for a very valuable update on my orginal question; I've gotten the book by Scarre, and intend to brush up my "formal" knowledge. But I will be sure to check up the authors you mention here in order to bring history a bit more to life :) On a side note, I know there are several well researched biographies of emperors out there, the one on Caesar by Goldsworthy springs to mind. Any experiences with these by members in the forum?

LOTS!!!

Any Emperors or periods in which you have a particular interest?

Phil