UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What Profession?

Aurelianus

Just curious. And what profession would you have liked to avoided at all costs?

Personaly I find the idea of beeing a wine merchant very appealing, it would probably be quite lucrative too... And for the worst... Caligulars personal attendant.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be a scribe or bureaucrat with enough importance to be in the Imperial presence, but not enough ever to be noticed would be my ideal. Think of the conversations you would hear and the insight you would have into the workings of the state! Of course, I'd be making notes and writing my History (for posthumous publication) in the evenings... ;)

Where abouts in Isca are you, Aurelianus? Send me a PM.

I would say 'Vestal Virgin," but the whole rules thing kinda gets to me...and somehow I just don't think I'm blonde or airheaded enough. (Perhaps that's too much Mel Brooks' influence).

I guess the question is: what occupations could a woman have? Outside of the domestic/slave stuff, which I'm not even sure there was that much of...nanny, cook, and the like?

As for avoidance: anything that requires 'testing' things for the emperors.

Ah, good point. For women, lets just say you would have liked to be married to a weak willed man in the posision of... or just name a male profession ;) .

I would have liked to have been a wealthy senator during the Later Empire. Not much work to do and as a bonus you got mansions all over the Empire and a retinue of serfs to do you work for you.

I would not on the other hand would have liked to be a miner digging for Gold in some damp cave...very dangerous and a short life-span.

docoflove is right...what excatly can a woman do in Ancient Rome? Then perhaps I would be a good housewife at home...

Only if I was a man, I might perhaps wish to be Magister Militum. It sounds cool to me :D

Ah, good point. For women, lets just say you would have liked to be married to a weak willed man in the posision of... or just name a male profession ;) .

Me, married to a weak willed man...yeah, right...that won't happen.

Knowing me, I'd be in a wine-making family, so I'd be involved in that somehow. The country life, fresh air, good soil, good life. :D

Not like to be :- a cleaner- uper in the gladiator arena, disposing of severed limbs and cleaning up blood and guts all-day

I like the way you describe it :P

But anyway better than the ones that fight inside the arena.