UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Samnites

when i started reading by book that i won(i have been to busy too finish reading it :lol::P )

i got to a part that said something to the similer(u will have to excuse me i dont have my book at hand) but like this that the romans after fighting these samnite to the south(i think :huh: ) and five years after they got incorporated into the army please help me i am totaly confused :(:lol::(:(:D:P

Brutus , take a look at this site which gives you a lowdown on the general nature of the Samnites:

http://xoomer.alice.it/davmonac/sanniti/indexen.html

and this image may help you visualise them:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...si&img=1385

so if i got this right the samnites or safinies in their own tongue were the italian version decended from the spartens now i really dont get hwo this came to be except that in some form a bunch of people broke away from the spartans for i suspect varius reasons or maybe only a few but any way the eventually founded their own culture(if i am wrong let me know) but they origanilly came from the greeks or are greeks just a distant province right???

so if i got this right the samnites or safinies in their own tongue were the italian version decended from the spartens now i really dont get hwo this came to be except that in some form a bunch of people broke away from the spartans for i suspect varius reasons or maybe only a few but any way the eventually founded their own culture(if i am wrong let me know) but they origanilly came from the greeks or are greeks just a distant province right???

As with most accounts of early Rome and the area surrounding her, Dionysious of Alicarnassus' histories were either based on family histories (which promote, or create plain heroic falsehoods about certain geneses), or on even older historical texts which existing archaeological evidence, even that available in his time, has proven to have been a fabrication. So his view that the Samnites were in fact descendants from Spartan migrants is, most probably, a far-fetched foundation myth.