UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome: Total War

Krackalackin

The Game was part of what made me revisit Rome since Highschool because it's atmosphere is so complete, it was actually influential. I'd personally give the game a 8.5. It's a great game, without a doubt that'll have you waste countless hours but not perfect. However, it's a good game to give you an idea of Roman life.

I'm sure a lot of you have played it. It's got all of the Roman Army Units, and I mean all of them. It starts out with your Hastati, Principes and Triarii. The Triarii, you can't make for a while because it's of course made up of the Patricians, the wealthy. Its starts you so far back that in the beginning, you barely have any rich courts. After playing for a while, you get rid of them after the Army is changed by err... Marius, I think it was. Then come along the Praetorians, the better Roman and legionary cavalry, as well as the early and later Cohorts, complete with their eagle to defend. You also of course have the archers, the peltasts, the ballistas, and when you're advanced enough, Onagers and cobra Ballistas. It's a really great game. The two things however I don't understand about it is that they Made the Spartans in it wearing these dumb robes. No armor, no helmet, just these stupid robes. Kinda stupid, if you ask me. The regular hoplites look alright but the Spartans don't. And Macedon is adorned with Sparta's insignia! I don't understand that at all. I guess they confused the famous phalanxes of the Spartans and Macedons and thought the sign was the Macedonian one. That's my best guess. All the units of all the nations look good on the whole however. The Egyptians have a phalanx though, which I don't get. I guess it's because of Ptolemy but it's not under his empire though. They're not as good as the Macedon's or Greek's though, so ah, who cares.

What's cool is you can also make your own battles naturally. I always play as the Macedons vs. the Romans or vica versa. It's difficult however to decide how to do that though because I'm never sure what to make the stats of the units. You can figure that you should make the Romans a little stronger because the Macedons have the Spear advantage but if the Macedons have a spear like that and are famous also for marching such long distances, perhaps they should be stronger from their armament. It's a tough call but when I play it, I get a feel for what they should be. The Macedons really have to be a little stronger because the Romans are by default a little stronger and beat the macedonians moderately easy even on a frontal assault.

The Game is a must for anyone who loves Rome.

It is a very good game (cant wait for medeival II), even if it is inacurate in everything apart from (on the whole) the military units. A question: you cant train the first cohort with the eagle can you? I was playing the macedonians for the first time the other day, and their realy dificult, they have the same position as the Byzantine Empire; facing east and west. I just finished off the Greek cities when I was attacked by the Brutii, Thrace, Dacia and Egypt. ;) .

I would have to say the spartans look good, but you have a point: how is that robe going to give them any protection?

It's a really great game. The two things however I don't understand about it is that they Made the Spartans in it wearing these dumb robes. No armor, no helmet, just these stupid robes. Kinda stupid, if you ask me.

True, the Spartans did wear red robes but they never wore them in battle, they were too valuable.I think that the game desingers were skimming through the Osprey book 'The Spartan Army' when they designed the Hoplites to look like that, as there is a drawing that looks just like them in the game. It also makes sense as the later era Spartan Hoplites had given up wearing Corinthian helmets and had began wearing Conical shaped ones. They were based on this picture:

Spartan Hoplites

The Egyptians have a phalanx though, which I don't get. I guess it's because of Ptolemy but it's not under his empire though. They're not as good as the Macedon's or Greek's though, so ah, who cares.

The Armies of Egypt did contain Phalanxes although not of the type shown in the game. The Ptolemaies recruited Greek soldiers to serve in their armies, who would have been equipped in the same fashion as the the Seleucids, Antigonids and the Macedonians. For some reason they have made the Egyptian soldiers in the game look as if it is the Bronze age (They look as if they are from the New Kingdom era of Egyptian history, not as Hellenistic soldiers). They probably did this to add variety to the game as many would be disappointed to see the Egyptians looking no different to the Seleucids or Macedonians. 'The New Kingdom' look is the archetypal look for the Ancient Egyptians, people usually think they look liked that when they think of Ancient Egypt.

It is true what you say about the Lambada being the symbol of Sparta, it's odd that the game producers made it a symbol for the Macedonians.

How is this for a victory on Rome Total Realism (difficulty medium):

Rameses has his Greek army in a grassy field with only Thracian infantry (falxmen) and a Hetaroi. I await the Macedonian army which comprises of Thracian infantry (falxmen), Greek Irregulars, Hoplitai, and a Macedoinian general, can't spell the name.

Layout was that I was defending and my Thracians were hiding behind a small group of trees. I drew out my general so that the Macedonian general came and charged. Knowing they are vulnerable when charging I retreated and hid behind my Thracians as they shot at them with javelines until impact. The Thracians fought hand to hand until my cavalry came back and slammed and killed their cavalry and general.

My main task was at hand as I was able to use my mobile cavalry to attack the flank of the phalanx and to take them out of the battle. I saw the Greek Irregulars coming so I wanted to dispose of them quickly so that the enemy's falxmen would not be as effective. Fortunately only one unit attacked, but unfortunately they were the falx. Not seeing my unit the javelines of my falxmen took down much of their men.

As their Greek Irregulars were readying an attack on my flank, I sent my cavalry as relief against the Irregulars knowing the phalanx would not catch up. Quickly the Irregulars routed enabling me to go around and attack the enemy falxmen from behind routing them. The phalanx was close to attacking my cavalry so I had to quikcly pull them as my falxmen attacked them. With the few remaining cavalry I had left, I attacked them from behind.

Thusly ending the greatest victory of my entire Rome Total Realism campaigning.

Enemy Men: 295

Rameses Men: 95

Sorry, no one was there to appreciate so I had to get it out there. :rolleyes:

Rome: Total War, is a decent game at best... it's true ability comes out when the community contributes to the game to either make it more fun or more historical...(for most of us here more historical = more fun), and I would highly suggest you download Rome:Total Realism 6.0... it blows RTW Vanilla, (the original version store bought), out the water by a gigantic margin.

Rome total realism is where it's at. I just wonder if a movement like that will ever be repeated for future expansions and games. I see nothing being done for Barbarian Invasion, and I wonder if it would happen for the new MTW.

Just last night I was continuing to build my Roman empire. I had one last little Iberian battle in the mountains before all rebellion was quelled. Had a massive force to put down a small band of rebels. As I approached, I noted the vultures circling overhead, sure of death...now that kind of detail is pretty amazing eh? :unsure:

Rome: Total War, is a decent game at best... it's true ability comes out when the community contributes to the game to either make it more fun or more historical...(for most of us here more historical = more fun), and I would highly suggest you download Rome:Total Realism 6.0... it blows RTW Vanilla, (the original version store bought), out the water by a gigantic margin.

Yes, I do have Rome Total Realism, sorry do not know who Neos is directing this to. However you said something very true, to us the more historical the more fun. I can't say it any better myself. To know that you are doing something accurately is much more fun.

Whenever I play the Roman campaign I love at the end when the Roman general says, 'do not be afraid for we have sharper pointy things then them, oh yes much sharper!' :P

The only thing I don't like about this style of game is that after you beat the thing 10 times, you find that the game progresses quite slowly, managing a gargantuous empire gets boring, once you wipe out a few factions the rest are not a serious threat. Even on 'very hard' I still can not lose; I make bad situations for myself just for a challenge. (Or maybe I've just played it too much...!) Still love it though!

Edit: Cool little story...

On the vanilla, I was playing the Julii and was being attacked by huge armies of Spanish, British, German, and Dacians all before the Marian Reforms. (After that event your units are pretty much invincible) Almost lost that campaign- I sent a small force to conquer Crete just in case I lost my cities. :P

I still beat them all of course. :D

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

One of my favourite mods for the game is 'the Terrae Expugnandae' version. It's not as historically accurate as RTR (which is also brilliant) but it does have several features taken from other mods including the Mappae Mundi campaign map, the new formations mod and some of the best skins from several other mods (the Imperial Legionnaires are particurarly impressive...you can even train the Heavy Legions of the Trajanic era with arm manica and greaves). One of the best features of the mod though is that they have altered some of the settings meaning that battles run much more smoothly than before, which means for much larger battles than before. For me RTR often ran too slowly and jerked too often on larger battles but with 'Terrae Expugnandae' it runs much better than before.

The only downside is some glitches, but these are apparent in every mod (and even in the Vanilla version).

I have just come across the Demo for Medieval 2 : Total war:

Medieval II Demo

I haven't downloaded it yet, but I don't think my computer is powerful enough for it to work, whic is a shame! Either way I might try downloading it to see if it works...

I can't find a link anywhere to the demo that won't let you download it without subscribing to a site and I can't be bothered doing that...ah, well, I don't think my PC is good enough to play the game anyway. Maybe in the near future I'll have to buy a new PC.

as a suggestion , try pm ing Longbow -he is most expert in this kind of thing.

Thanks for the suggestion Pertinax! I had already begun downloading the demo. Needless to say it doesn't work. My computer's RAM, Processor, disk speed, disk space etc were all good enough, yet my graphics card wasn't up to it - it's too primitive. I think it's 64 MB when I need 128 MB.

I haven't played any computer games for months so it is not that big a loss.

Edited by DecimusCaesar

RTW is a fantastic game. I don't usually bother with games of this ilk but I made an exception this time. What's this other one you are all raving about then? RTRealism.... think I'll go check it out and see. Version 6? Is it a freebie or something being up to that versionor is it just that good several expansions have been made? Slap me if I'm wide of the mark... ;)

Rome Total Realsim is a MOD for Rome Total War,its totally free :D .Version 6.o is the current MOD,they get updated from time to time,i started playing when it was 5.4.

Get it Here,scroll down to one of the download mirrors (adrenelan.net mirror #2 is working) and start your download.

The instructions for installation are on that page,enjoy dude its a lot better than the vannilla RTW.

Playing as the Macedons i killed an entire Thracian Army at the front gates :lol: ,daft buggers just kept trying to push through my Phalanxes :D .

untitledwz3.th.png

Edited by longbow