UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Development Of Weapons And Armour Of Romans

Guest toga

Hello

Im doing a project on Ancient Art and my topic is on Roman Weaponry and how it was influenced by other cultures e.g. Greeks etc.

I'm researching on the web for information on Weapons and Armour and general battle gear and how it changed over time and why it changed. I found a good deal of info on this web site but i need a website which shows the patterns on the battle gear and how and why it was influenced by this or that culture etc.

I was wondering if you knowledgeable Roman.... fans knew any good sights

I don't know of sites.

Books on aspects of the Roman army by Peter Connolly (the man who recreated the Roman saddle) are always reliable and excellent.

I also find "Brassey's History of Uniforms: Roman Army - Wars of the Empire" useful.

The Romans borrowed from and were influenced heavily by their opponents, whether Etruscans, Gauls, or in the east.

Look at the development of chain-mail; scale armour; the use of cavalry.

In the British Museum is a suit of crocodile-skin armour from Egypt - now there is an interesting influence!!

You might find web-sites relating to re-enactment groups such as the Ermine Street Guard useful, or even contact the group itself for assistance.

Phil

Remember that the development of roman arms and armour isn't the result of science or a central think tank - it was the sum total of local experience and experiment. When one legion made a success of a small change it was likely to spread to other legions.

A few books that you could look up, especially for the later period of Roman Warfare ( AD 200-600) is the books by I. P Stephenson:

Roman Infantry Equipment: The Later Empire and Romano-Byzantine Infantry Equipment.

Each book has a chapter detailing the different types of equipment the Romans had. For instance one chapter would detail the evolution and use of helmets, another about swords, lorica segmentata, spears, missile weapons etc

The author also tells how the Romans were equipment was influenced by other nations, like the helmets being influenced by Sassanian and Sarmatian helmets.

...it was the sum total of local experience and experiment.

Would you put the lamellar arm defences adopted by the eastern legions (not I think the western) and perhaps used by Trajan's troops in Dacia, into that category?

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
...it was the sum total of local experience and experiment.

Would you put the lamellar arm defences adopted by the eastern legions (not I think the western) and perhaps used by Trajan's troops in Dacia, into that category?

Phil

All the variations in roman armour fall into that category. We see their equipment as more or less uniform - it wasn't. There's a huge variety in the shape and style of roman helmets for instance, although it is possible to trace the development to some extent. Equipment was originally provided by the men themselves and later with offical assistance. The centralised fabricae that produced such things to order as a government facility came toward the end of the west - one more reason to raise taxes up a bit more. When a senior roman decided or was ordered to raise a legion he had to obtain equipment locally. There was bound to be variety. In actual fact I haven't seen anything resembling a dress standard for roman soldiers although I do accept they followed a general form. That isn't to say there wasn't one, I just don't know of any.

I think, if we could see them in real life, we would find differences in the cut and colour of tunics. I suspect that material was bought in bulk, but would be cut and sewn by different tailors - or the men themselves. Sun, rain and the elements would fade the dye in different ways too.

I don't think that "a uniform look" - if by that we mean the British Grendier Guards in full dress at the Birthday Parade (Trooping the Colour); or troopers of the cuirassiers of the French Republican Guard on Bastille Day - was ever approached by the Romans even where the Praetorian Guard was concerned.

I see in my minds eye, varieties of equipment, perhaps several variations of shield within a unit, depending on the supplier and date of issue, differences in helmet design, in the detail of bosses and studs on belts and baldricks etc.

(I actually don't think Napoleon's Imperial Guard achieved uniformity in a modern sense very often, if at all, either.)

It is a relatively modern, late C19th concept IMHO.

There is another thread about the Roman "salute" - I frankly wonder if there ever was one.

I recall reading somewhere recently (was it on here? I cannot remember) that the classification system devised for styles and dating of Roman helmets by Russell Robinson (Keeper of the Royal Armouries and the great and highly influential expert on Roman arms and equipment of the last generation) is now being challenged as too rigid and precise.

We tend to perceive the past as similar to our own society (though with obvious differences). I am strongly of the opinion that we would be in for a BIG surprise if we could go back.

Phil

PS - With respect DC your pictures are interesting, but I don't think we can take photos of modern re-enactors as evidence of anything. Even if not an accident, the position will be a reflection of someone's interpretation that lack of uniformity is OK.

Edited by phil25

The Gladiat (I think thats what they call those devastating little swords) is regarded by experts as the most efficient sword ever. I have also heard it called a 'Spanish Short Sword'. Is this because it was originally used by a Spanish tribe? When did the Romans 'lend' the idea?

The Gladiat (I think thats what they call those devastating little swords) is regarded by experts as the most efficient sword ever. I have also heard it called a 'Spanish Short Sword'. Is this because it was originally used by a Spanish tribe? When did the Romans 'lend' the idea?

Do you mean Gladius? They were extremely efficient, a gladius in the hands of a trained Legionary was more than likely the most deadly sword in history.

The gladius was originally from Spain, or at least, something similar was developed in Spain and in typical Roman fashion, the Legions adapted it for their own use. :D

The 'gladius Hispaniensis' (Spanish sword mentioned by Lost Warrior) was in use by the Romans from around the Second Punic Wars until the end of the 1st Century BC. During the First Century AD the sword made way for the Pompeii types which were shorter. Later on the semi-spatha became the main sowrd used by the later era soldiers. The gladius did not look the same for an era, for instance their are 3 or 4 gladius's that date to the latter half of the First century AD that look different to each other i.e - different handles, sword shapes (some are wider or thinner bladed than the others) or even different scabbards.