UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Octavian (the Little Sh.....)

suzhannah

i know phil will like this one. sorry i have been off for a bit, deep in thesis mode.

OCTAVIAN,as we know rose to power sumwhat indirectly.

what was he like growing up and before he became the sainted augustus (in the romans eyes of course).

i have plenty on the principate/augustan rule etc..... but would be interested in any info or where to start with the 'youth' octavian.

some say he was a brutal youth and nothing like his transformation when he became the manipulative and graceful augustus.

i have heard that cisero tried to reign him in and warned him of his behaviour, but perhaps that was because caesar held no love for cisero and banished him in the first place, putting the poor guy off politics for life.

would love comments on octavian and especially views on his personality and actions pre augustus.

ta

suz.

In my opinion, Sir Ronald Syme's Roman Revolution still remains the definitive work on the rise to power of Octavian. The work is still readily available and will give you an in depth look at the character of a complex man and the advisers around him. It must be remembered that Augustus did not exist in a vacuum, nor did he rise to power in one, and Syme's theory of oligarchial government continuing under Augustus is one with which I personally concur - although others may disagree. I am a great admirer of Augustus, but am at one with Syme in that the substance of the man did not change, only the colour.

In the ancient sources, Appian gives a fuller account of the Proscriptions and the Perusian War (neither which did Octavian any credit) than any other author.

I would suggest these as places to start in a study of the early career of Augustus.

Hope this helps a bit.

I started a recent thread on just this point - when did Octavian decide to take the path he did - did he have a "master plan", and if so, what was it?

Your post is a little difficult to follow,

Caesar did not exile Cicero (Cisero?) and neither did Octavian. Indeed, Octavian "used2 Cicero for political ends.

As far as i know neither cicero nor Octavian were put off politics for life (if that is what you meant by "putting the poor guy off politics for life"). Antonius certainly put Cicero off politics for life - by having him killed - but you do not mention Antonius. Otherwise, Cicero was as indecisive as ever in the last months of his life (he could have fled and saved himself) but politically active with his "Philippics" against Antonius.

Phil

Good post Augusta - I endorse every word.

Phil

I started a recent thread on just this point - when did Octavian decide to take the path he did - did he have a "master plan", and if so, what was it?

Caesar did not exile Cicero (Cisero?) and neither did Octavian. Indeed, Octavian "used2 Cicero for political ends.

As far as i know neither cicero nor Octavian were put off politics for life (if that is what you meant by "putting the poor guy off politics for life"). Antonius certainly put Cicero off politics for life - by having him killed - but you do not mention Antonius. Otherwise, Cicero was as indecisive as ever in the last months of his life (he could have fled and saved himself) but politically active with his "Philippics" against Antonius.

Phil

Phil

Phil

Phil

hi phil,

sorry am so wrapped up in my latin and got cisero (typo) cicero (pronounced kikero of course) on the brain. i threw in cicero because i know in his letters he tries to curtale octavians actions as a youth and warns him of his behaviour

i want to stay on octavian and his rise to power. would love to know where ur post is, was it long ago cos i cant find it.

thanks to tribunus for info on ronald syme, will look it up.

regards

suz

Here is the link to my earlier thread:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4884

Phil