UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Toga

Guest Sarah

Hello. I am new. and I need some help!

I have to go to a party in a toga. my flatmate has images of us turning up in fusia pink satin material. is this to going to work?

How much material would I need? we are not very tall (5"3) and we are quite petite.

How would I tie it? I was thinking, off the shoulder, nice, elegant, with foldy bits etc. are tiaras the right kind of thing to go with it? or is it different era? mmm.

Well thanks, sorry if this is completely irrelevant to the history thing. although i am a big fan of age of empires.

Welcome to the Forums!

I have never worn a toga so I can't be much of an assistance with it. Even so I ca provide a few links:

Toga - 1

How to make a Toga

If I was going to a fancy dress party and I was going to wear a toga I would either hire a Roman costume or failing that I would sling a bed cloth over me (which is simpler and cheaper).

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Welcome, Sarah.

Must it be an actual toga? These, of course, were really only worn by male Romans. Ladies had a long tunic and the very pretty palla which could be draped from the shoulder in all manner of different ways. Married ladies would have also worn a stola - a sort of pinafore - over the tunic and underneath the final palla. Perhaps if your friends are expecting you to arrive in folds of gorgeous satin, they are definitely thinking more of the palla. A good swatch of fabric bought from any haberdashers would serve you better, I think. It would be far easier to drape (as there was no set rule) and much less cumbersome to wear. You would also need less material. (Togas were enormous circular or semi-circular things). If you need any more help, please drop me a PM and I will be happy to send you some illustrations/photos.

As for a tiara, or diadem, as the palla was worn through all ages of the Republic and Empire, this would not be out of place at all.

Good luck with your party.

The toga was worn by some women, namely prostitutes. I don't remember wear I read that but when my history professor comes back from his confrence I may ask him.

I generally don't go for a toga because it is way to big and complicated for me. Most people end up wearing a Greek himation (a.k.a -- a sheet) and calling it a toga, whereas I prefer the Greek tribon (yes, the oversized scarlet cloak worn by sexy Spartans and ugly philosophers).

I have also been invited to a Roman themed party: a 'slaves and masters' pub-crawl (the men have the slave status, and the women are our superiors).

Does anybody have an idea for a possible slave costume?

Just a simple tunic would be authentic, but I suppose it would depend on what the goal was. For something like this, I'd assume anything that resembled a gladiator would be more popular.

Koh Samui, Thailand. Chrismas Eve 1993.

A small group of long term Thai visiters (myself included) decided to copy Animal House (Belushi et al 1985) and welcome Chrismas in by having a Toga Party. We wrap bedsheets, curtains, sari's, sarongs, whatever around ourselves and head to the local nightclub. Not long after arriving we are confronted by a large group of angry locals.

"You make fun Buddha! You no monk, you take off...etc"

After ten minutes trying to explain Toga's to people who had no idea who the Romans were or what ancient Europeans had to do with American college movies we all ended up with our 'Toga's' wrapped around our waistes, like giant nappies (diapers).

TOGA, TOGA, TOGA!

Wow this thread has really gone downhill!

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...cial_s%26sa%3DG

just a suggestion for attractive costumes....(click bottom left of the three images).