UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Britain

Zama

I'll also add for the original poster, you may wish to check out the Forum Peregrini for topics on the Celts and Romano-Celts, some of which are related to Roman Britain. Many of our UK residents such as Pertinax have an obvious interest in the area and are quite erudite on the subject.

Isn't it astonishing how much emphasis we place on roman britain as opposed to roman europe? Is that a cultural thing? In that we owe so much of our modern civilisation through the british empire and america from our roman past? Very curious.

I think it's simply a function of the fact the vast majority of us here are native English speakers, with the largest group of non-Americans being actually British. I am sure if we had more French, Spaniards and Italians here things would be different.

And I personally feel Roman culture didn't rub off on Ye Olde Brits sufficiently to survive the Germanic occupation. But what is interesting to me about Roman Britain is how the natives retained a large degree of their cultural identity under Roman dominion - the hybrid of local and imperial culture often referred to as Romano-Celt.

I am a Coritanian at heart; though recently, the Dumnonii has adopted me.

As for my interests, I am absolutely fascinated by Roman attitudes towards the native Britons

Isn't it astonishing how much emphasis we place on roman britain as opposed to roman europe?

No one ever talks much about Roman Russia. By this I mean Chernon/Crimea/Krim. For all interested, here is the forum I would have joined if I had not found this one. www.roman-glory.com

Unfortunately, my Russian still needs work.

edit: Is the Marcus Porcius Cato on www.roman-glory.com the same as our beloved Cato here?

Edited by Julius Ratus

I thought I had linked this in already, but I see it is in another thread:Here is a small earlier piece on the Brigantes-

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showto...mp;hl=Brigantes