UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Any whisky/whiskey experts here?

Virgil61

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several most learned posts here :notworthy: , but who can gainsay Tobermory- (two separate distilleries if I recall-im sure both consider their product to be the best) ? My drink of preference in this most excellent hostelry:

http://www.bestpubs.co.uk/layout0.asp?pub=105837

Reckoned by many erudite trenchermen to be the pick of all Scotische pubs.

The Bushmills (for me) seems cleaner and stealthier, white label (for me ) is the best of a good bunch.

ps: MPC if you get back to Edinburgh again-this place is a must see.

As long as you are going to cut the stuff with water or Coke, why bother with the expensive stuff? :o After three you won't know the difference anyway. :D Go with a beer and a bump (Carstairs, Fleishmann's). -_- No sissy stuff. :angry:

:ph34r:

As long as you are going to cut the stuff with water or Coke, why bother with the expensive stuff? :D ...

Because that's how some bourbons are traditionally made to be drunk--with a splash of water that is.

As long as you are going to cut the stuff with water or Coke, why bother with the expensive stuff? :D ...

Because that's how some bourbons are traditionally made to be drunk--with a splash of water that is.

In my post I was going to add "of course even the tap water tastes rich and peaty" (as regards the Tobermory), the dilution being water from the locality of the drink. This is as opposed to the HIDEOUS EVIL of :2guns: coke!

O! ye gods! The Lord of the Herbs :notworthy: is now pushing Scottishe water for each brew on the colonials. He probably gets a cut. I just consulted my personal gynecologist and he informs me that one has a splash of branch water (whatever that is) with bourbon, which may only come from kentucky. Only pumpkin kickers or apple knockers drink bourbon.

Now this is important! I have a half dozen bottles of unopened booze that has been hanging around for some four decades plus. It ranges from Scotch to Armagnac to Napoleon Cognac. Does aging in the bottle make any difference? I also have a bottle of Port of the same age. It is bleeding from the cork. Should I drink it or give it to an enemy or a quack?

Now this is important! I have a half dozen bottles of unopened booze that has been hanging around for some four decades plus. It ranges from Scotch to Armagnac to Napoleon Cognac. Does aging in the bottle make any difference? I also have a bottle of Port of the same age. It is bleeding from the cork. Should I drink it or give it to an enemy or a quack?

Yes, this is a very important question. According to Horace, it's no good leaving the stuff to your heirs; they will just waste it. (Nobody had told Horace about cognac, but he would still have said the same.) So the main thing, Octavius, is to plan your life carefully and make sure you get to taste it all yourself! Having decided that, no special hurry.

Vintage port does improve in the bottle, but not beyond a certain point. What point? I have never stored vintage port myself, so my advice is not to be taken too seriously, but, if it were me, I would open the port soon, when some good convivial opportunity arises: I suspect 40/50 years is as much as you can reasonably expect. Decant it carefully and in good time! And you're encouraged to taste it as you do this, so if there's anything wrong with it (I don't think there will be) you have time to go out to the supermarket and get a replacement before your guests arrive.

People say that spirits don't improve in the bottle. They certainly don't spoil, so no problem there. Actually, my experience contradicts what people say: to me, old bottles of spirits always smell and taste better than new ones, they seem to have more complexity (at least if they were good ones originally) and they will repay slow drinking.

So long as you don't add Coke to any of these, GO, I am with you in spirit!

Quote "If your going to add water or coke why not just buy the cheap stuff?"

Quality malts are supposed to be mixed with water. Experts say that, served neat, the intensity of the alcohol smothers the complexity of the delicate flavours.

This thread got me in trouble last night... I bought a bottle of EW 1783 on the way home for the weekend but had a tall glass out of it (with 2 ice cubes) after I had already warmed my liver up with other beverages... :ph34r:

It snuck up on me... I was blitzed! which is rare for me, the Domina was not happy. :ph34r:

This thread got me in trouble last night... I bought a bottle of EW 1783 on the way home for the weekend but had a tall glass out of it (with 2 ice cubes) after I had already warmed my liver up with other beverages... :ph34r:

It snuck up on me... I was blitzed! which is rare for me, the Domina was not happy. :ph34r:

I have to confess the same. I still haven't ventured into Scotch territory yet, probably later this week, but I did pick up a boubon (stick to what you know) for $25. Sat down with my brother and watched the election returns. MPC I'll use a capful or less of bottled water depending on the bourbon. I take it it's the same for Scotch then?

Bulleit Bourbon (mmmm good)

bourbon-bulleit-300.JPG

MPC I'll use a capful or less of bottled water depending on the bourbon. I take it it's the same for Scotch then?

Yes, I was thinking of Scotch re: amt of water. Though my father teethed me on Southern Comfort, I'm not much of a bourbon fan. To me, it's just the base for mint juleps (a seasonal treat for when the Kentucky Derby comes around), though I'd be happy to discover its merits.