UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome 2. When in Britain?

spittle

I cannot find a start date for British viewers anywhere on the internet and its pissing me off!

You Yanks will be watching re-runs (which, incidentally, is an inferior term to its British equivalent 'Repeats') by the time we see episode one!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone believe that Rome attracted less viewers than Six Feet Under ?!?

BUMP!

Season 2? Anybody????

BUMP!

Utterly unsurprising, given that we made Jade Goody a 'celeb'...

Yes, quite easily. Even if you refer to the viewing figures here, Paul, and not in the States, remember that SFU has had many seasons to gain a stalwart following.

I am a huge fan of almost all HBO productions.

I own all 6 series of The Soprano's, both series of Deadwood and The Wire (with Series 3 of both pre-ordered) and I have also pre-ordered series 1 of Oz (released today on region 2 -05/02/07). Band of Brothers was amazing and I watch my boxset many times, despite it belittleing the rest of the worlds participation in favour of giving sole credit to the US of A. Although I have not bought Curb Your Enthusiasm I enjoyed watching it on TV very much and, as you probably have guessed, I thought Rome was fantastic. It was the thing that interested me in the subject and I have bought The Caesars, I,Claudius and a boatload of other DVDs and books as a result.

But Six Feet Under is everything bad in modern comedy.

Are we supposed to pretend that we are so knowledgable as a culture that we can see the funny side of bereavement as shown in the most disrespectful way possible?

I hate it!

But Six Feet Under is everything bad in modern comedy.

Are we supposed to pretend that we are so knowledgable as a culture that we can see the funny side of bereavement as shown in the most disrespectful way possible?

I hate it!

Sorry for a mo :P (We're heading for Hades.....)

Ah - here we must differ, Paul. Although I don't believe I have seen beyond Series 4 (I think it was, but can't swear to that) - I absolutely loved Six Feet Under - purely because of its black take on things. I loved the dysfunctional Fischer family too, and although there were 'sick' moments, I still watched it with relish. I started to get a bit fed up when boring old George appeared, however. I thought Ruthie deserved better than that.

I can understand how it may offend, but I can say from the heart that as a person who has had an awful lot of bereavement in my life, seeing the 'funny side' was therapeutic for me.

Plus - I saw the funeral home and the job the Fischers did as an integral part of what made them the way they were. Imagine what it must be like to have a family business like that?

Strangely enough - when I first saw the opening titles for 'Rome' I was immediately reminded of SFU. Something to do with that jerky music and off-the-wall graphics. I don't know whether anyone else felt this way. As for other HBO shows, I cannot offer an opinion because I only attempted to watch the Sopranos for a few episodes, and although I could appreciate it as a piece of well-produced drama, its storyline did not appeal to me, so I didn't pursue it.

• 1 month later...

Getting back to the question of When in Britain do we get to see Rome Series 2?

Well, after several attempts at contacting the Beeb they keep directing me to their coming soon pages etc...

It seems the programme is commissioned (NEVER IN THE WORLD!!!!!) etc but no date for transmission has been set. And that's it folks!!!

I have the 1st series on DVD and have watched it a few times and think it gets better each time.

My favourite Roman series is I Claudius. Absolutely fantastic. Low budget yes but who cares? And what about Pompeii, the Last Day and its partner Colosseum? Excellent - but unavailable here!! Ooohhh it drives me nuts!! The HBO folks had plans for at least five and possibly six series of Rome but it now seems to have been scrapped after two. Some folk don't they are born do they? Just imagine, as our good friend Northern Neil pointed out, we made Jade a 'celeb'... are we really getting that thick???

Here's the link to see the spurious text about the Beeb schedules for 'coming up'...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/coming_up.shtml

Just scroll to find it alphabetically.

Well, a bit more solid news about this folks!!! After digging deeper into the Beeb site I went to their Press Office pages and got this from a list of items...

Rome

Kevin McKidd, Ray Stevenson, James Purefoy, Polly Walker, Tobias Menzies, Lindsay Duncan and Kerry Condon return for a second series of the BBC and HBO's Rome, the epic tale of the rise of one of the world's most powerful Empires told through the stories of masters and slaves alike.

Having lost his wife, and played an integral part in Caesar's death, Vorenus begins the series a broken man. However, with the ever-loyal Pullo alongside him, Vorenus soon becomes a key player in Mark Antony's fight for control of Rome.

In the wake of Caesar's death, a vicious struggle for power and supremacy erupts, with Brutus and Servilia pitted against Mark Antony and Atia. With so much to play for, who will ultimately triumph?

Simon Woods joins the cast as Atia's son, Octavian, who turns against Mark Antony and Atia, leaving the city in order to raise an army and make his own bid for power.

This was posted on the 12 Dec 2006 and I don't know how I missed it but there you are!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressrele...12/bbctwo.shtml

There is still no defined date but Spring is anything through to May so maybe when the US run ends it will start here. HERE'S HOPING!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Someone had very kindly posted segments of season 2 on YouTube, in individual, 20-minute pieces. I was partially keeping up with them until several of them were removed for an unknown reason.

I personally can't wait. Watching all those downloads eats into the limits my uni sets!

Someone had very kindly posted segments of season 2 on YouTube, in individual, 20-minute pieces. I was partially keeping up with them until several of them were removed for an unknown reason.

I personally can't wait. Watching all those downloads eats into the limits my uni sets!

Greetings Cassius! It's so nice to see the "the last of the Romans" gracing our forums.