UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

octavian boy wonder?

suzhannah

Am pasting this from the Empire board post to this location, to see if anyone has any more ideas, because when a boy, the time is the Republic era for Octavian, not Empire as yet.

Through Cisero, a little can be read about Octavian, however, I am interested in any other material that discusses the character of the boy. It has been said he had a bloody rise to power, but, all I have read is how ill he seemed to be in the throws of important battles. It is obvioius he had major spin doctors and powerful advisers when he became Augustus. However, my main interest is befoe this period.

Has anyone read anything apart from Everitt's Cicero? the parts of the book about Octavian's early life aren't greatly covered though. Do we know who the former advisors of Caeser, who clearly helped Octavian elevate into a triumvir position with Antony & Lepidus were?

To me this is a fascinating period in history, as a deeply republican society transformed into an imperial one. Although one must have the greates respect for Augustus bringing the much needed peace and stability to the ailing republic, it still begs the question (I would love answered) of how a 19 year old came to control first the party and then the state.

Any views or info on primary or secondary indepth sources?

Thanks

Has anyone read anything apart from Everitt's Cicero?

Everitt pointed out three things that stuck with me:

1) Octavian was always a deliberate, long range thinker, but perhaps not the visionary genius of propaganda as many of his plans were ad hoc.

2) Octavian construed courage in different terms than his contemporaries. The old Roman trait of virtus, manly courage in the face of military foes, was lost on Octavian as he was useless in a fight. But he did at times risk his life by facing angry mobs and staring them down for their defiance.

3) Some people have downplayed the sincerity of Octavian's religious devotions, but he had always seemed to have been a devout (some might say superstitious) believer in the manner of Italian provincials.

• 5 weeks later...
Try this: Augustus Caesar; E.S. Shuckburgh; Barnes & Noble, 1995.

would this be the standard biogrpahy of Augustus, or do you feel Everitt's is better(if you've read it)