UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Lemon...

CD-RW.
What software do you use with the CD-RW?

Adaptec.

I would use the free trial of software like Nero...

http://www.download.com/Nero-7-Ultra-Editi...tml?tag=lst-0-2

and see if the burner is capable of functioning with different software. If it works, then you have a problem with your current software. If it doesn't work, there might be a problem with the burner itself.

BTW, you are using Windows Millennium Edition?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um...Moonlapse? Help?

I was looking at a webpage and rendering a fractal (I mourn the loss of this beautiful fractal!) when I got freezing and the dreaded blue screen: "Kernal_Stack_Data_Error" or something like that. I unplugged it and restarted it, and it said something about having to restore a lost registry file, but then I got some other message that it was shutting down my system to prevent damage, that some files had been lost or something.

I restarted again and it did the "had to restore a lost registry file" and said that the restoration was successful. It started up OK so I restored to an earlier time (about 2 weeks ago, before any of this started) and it restarted normally. I'm now trying to do an spyware scan but my internet connection is being painfully slow.

I've blown all the dust out of my computer case.

Pantagathus do you still think it's a power supply issue? or is there something I can do?

Edited by Lost_Warrior

Update: for some reason Trillian has been corrupted again. That happened the last time this happened. A file was missing from it or something. Is there another "all in one" messenger someone can recommend?

I did a spyware scan, disk cleanup and disk defrag.

You may be right about the hard drive. That error usually only comes up when there is a problem with the hard drive controller on the motherboard (or its drivers), the hard drive cable, or the drive itself. You should at least boot into safe mode (by tapping F8 right before windows starts to load) and run chkdsk:

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.

2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.

3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,

4. Use one of the following procedures:

I really hope it's not the hard drive. I have a history of blowing them.

I tried Gaim but it would not load MSN or YIM. I don't know why. I went back to Trillian.

I'll print out the chkdisk thing and try that.

I backed up everything already, but I don't know a thing about BIOS.

Edited by Lost_Warrior

OK, I did the C drive and I don't think there were any errors to fix (it took over an hour though, I wasn't staring at it the whole time.)

I'm going to wait to do the D drive because I don't feel like being up for another three hours.

I did a dskchk on drive D and it didn't seem to find any errors. But right before that I got some "data write error" possibly caused by a hardware failure, or an internet connection problem followed by freezing and a "black screen of death" upon trying to restart.

Every time this happens it seems like Firefox is trying to upgrade. Is it a possible/known Firefox problem? Or could it be our phone lines? Because the phone was being screwy too when I tried to call Dell.

LW - you can always check if your hard drive has died by hitting the key for set-up while the OS is loading. On my PC this is 'F2' but it may be different on yours. This will take you to the setup. Working through the menus you should find a line of text/'pute speak that says something about your hard drive - usually its make etc. If that line is blank or it says something like 'hard drive not found' or 'None' then your hard drive has gone.

Edited by The Augusta

Do you know how much memory you have?

Basically, your memory (RAM) is fast, temporary storage for files that are being used. Because system memory is a very limited resource, Windows also uses virtual memory, which is space on your hard drive used in the same way your RAM is. Your computer is crashing because the stuff in virtual memory on your hard drive is being corrupted.

If you have enough RAM, I can show you how to change your memory settings to only use RAM and hopefully stop the crashing until you get a new computer, though it will probably run a little slower and data will continue to be corrupted on the hard drive. If you right click on the 'My Computer' icon and select 'Properties' it will bring up the System Properties window with your computer info. In the lower part it will say something similar to:

Computer:

Intel