UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Principate Focus Group

Ursus

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like intelligent articles, but I've never asked people to write dissertations with a long list of footnotes. A general bibliography would suffice.

Thanks, Ursus - I shall get to work on something right away. Apart from PM catch-ups I will be taking a tiny break from the Forum, purely in order to contribute something on our beloved Principate. I sometimes feel that I am drowning in the Republic on here, and we seem to go round and round on 'topics by any other name....' :thumbsup: That's not to say I don't find them enjoyable to read and debate, but I am reaching overkill at the moment. So.... be assured, I will be bashing away at the keyboard in Word tonight! I hope to have something to post in a couple of days.

I sometimes feel that I am drowning in the Republic on here, and we seem to go round and round on 'topics by any other name....' :thumbsup: That's not to say I don't find them enjoyable to read and debate, but I am reaching overkill at the moment. So.... be assured, I will be bashing away at the keyboard in Word tonight! I hope to have something to post in a couple of days.

I feel the same way, which I why I proposed this focus group.

I understand the Late Republic is - rightfully - a critical area of inquiry beloved by many Romanophiles. But I don't want other areas of Roman history drowned by endless threads dedicated to whether Caesar was a hero or villian. To me, and I am sure to you as well, Caesar was a prologue rather than the summit of Roman history.

Does the third century 'Anarchy' come under this period? until the time of Diocletian, the Augustan system was still, nominally, the mode of government.

Does the third century 'Anarchy' come under this period? until the time of Diocletian, the Augustan system was still, nominally, the mode of government.

The 3rd century crisis is more of a transitional period. I personally don't include it with the Principate.

I think it is a fascinating topic in its own right, especially the reign of Aurelian. But I don't think it will be part of the focus group, which ends with the fall of the Severans.

I've finally completed my contribution to our Principate Focus Group. Onomastics are my passion, and I was delighted that Ursus' suggestion for a Principate focus group gave me the incentive to delve into (as my article is titled) "Roman Naming Practices During the Principate Period". Uncertain as to where to post this, I asked Ursus to look it over for me and advise. (Thank you, Ursus!) I've posted it in the Academia forum.

-- Nephele

• 5 weeks later...

I posted a review of a book relevant to this group in the libri folder.

I hope Viggen doesn't mind me not going through the usual channels. I felt, since I was the one to propose the group, I had to produce something immediately. My previous two attempts to furnish book reviews for this group failed due to the boorish nature of the tomes under study.

hi all,

well am starting my summer reading up for my dissertation on Octavian/Augustus.

I include my reading list, but welcome any other books, papers etc that you know of to help with this topic.

I aim to cover the 19 year old Octavian's rise to power and how he sustained it and did a great job of becoming the father of peace and first Emperor.

My angle would be to cover the man's character/thoughts etc, but this has so far come up as a dead end, because we just do not have any evidence of psychology in that era. So, I am attempting to look at Octavian/Augustus 'self representation'. Obviously i dont want to drag out the Res Gesta alone, it is simply not enough. so here is the reading list.:

Baker, Golden age of Rome

Stockten, Cicero, Last chapters

Rawson, Cicero a Portrait

L.P. Wilkinson, Cicero's Letters

something in Virgil's Ecologues III

Am also looking at, Mark Anthony, re Cicero's death (because Augustus allowed this) and the rebellion by mark anthony's brother, persui mar. Battle of Sextus Pompay in Sicily. Also first arrival to defeat the rebellion in Sicily.

Any other info you think i could use, greatly appreciate.

If anyone would like a copy of the dissertation in september when it is finished, be glad to pass it on.

am 3/4 of way thru the MA, passed the dreaded Latin, thank god!

sorry i wont be able to add much to this forum until after sept. Glad its kept going tho. Well done URSUS.

Regards, Suz.

My angle would be to cover the man's character/thoughts etc, but this has so far come up as a dead end, because we just do not have any evidence of psychology in that era. So, I am attempting to look at Octavian/Augustus 'self representation'.

Don't discount Suetonius as a source for Augustus' character. His biography is loaded with the sort of information that should help you. Tacitus, Nicolaus of Damascus and even Dio Cassius should also offer some additional insight.

Here are a few more suggestions:

Augustus (Roman Imperial Biographies) by Pat Southern

The Power of Images in the Age of Augustus by Paul Zanker (if anything will provide evidence of Augustus' "self-representation", this is it)

The Age of Augustus by Werner Eck

Augustus: The Life of Rome's First Emperor by Anthony Everitt

The Sons of Caesar: Imperial Rome's First Dynasty by Philip Matyszak

Augustus: Godfather of Europe by Richard Holland

My angle would be to cover the man's character/thoughts etc, but this has so far come up as a dead end, because we just do not have any evidence of psychology in that era. So, I am attempting to look at Octavian/Augustus 'self representation'.

Don't discount Suetonius as a source for Augustus' character. His biography is loaded with the sort of information that should help you. Tacitus, Nicolaus of Damascus and even Dio Cassius should also offer some additional insight.

Here are a few more suggestions:

Augustus (Roman Imperial Biographies) by Pat Southern

The Power of Images in the Age of Augustus by Paul Zanker (if anything will provide evidence of Augustus' "self-representation", this is it)

The Age of Augustus by Werner Eck

Augustus: The Life of Rome's First Emperor by Anthony Everitt

The Sons of Caesar: Imperial Rome's First Dynasty by Philip Matyszak

Augustus: Godfather of Europe by Richard Holland

Edited by suzhannah

thanks primus,

had Suetonius on list but my prof thinks it a bit late/not so reliable.

Dio Cassius on my list tho.

thanks for other titles.

off to get new glasses for excessive reading this summer ;)

suz