UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Thank you UNRV

The Augusta

Thanks to the generosity of the the Forum and its benefactors, I have now put my gift voucher to good use, and the following books have arrived on my shelves this morning:

Anthony Birley - The African Emperor: Septimius Severus

Fritz Graf - Magic in the Ancient World

Michael Grant - The Antonines: The Roman Empire in Transition

Peter Salway - A History of Roman Britain

All of these topics are a totally new departure for me - into areas of my darkest ignorance which I can hopefully now illumine. Also, all are areas into which I have always intended to venture, and now I can, thanks to UNRV. I selected the Birley and the Grant as broad introductions to the topics in question, as I thought this would be a fairly good place to start. I will let you know how I progress! If anyone has read any of the above titles, please let me know your thoughts.

Edited by The Augusta

If anyone has read any of the above titles, please let me know your thoughts.

I have Graf

Anthony Birley - The African Emperor: Septimius Severus

Fritz Graf - Magic in the Ancient World

Michael Grant - The Antonines: The Roman Empire in Transition

Peter Salway - A History of Roman Britain

...If anyone has read any of the above titles, please let me know your thoughts.

I've read all but "Magic".

Birley is an excellent biographer and his works are highly informative. He is an academic at heart so the reading can be a bit dry, but you will finish with an excellent appreciation for the world of Severus and the surrounding eras.

I've professed my appreciation for Grant in several places throughout this forum. I view him simply as the finest introductory historian/author of the modern era. I don't mean to suggest that his work is not respectable by any stretch, but simply mean to imply that there are few historians who's work is so accessible to the layman.

Salway's Roman Britain might also tend to be "dry" at times by the very nature of the all-encompassing subject, but he is among the foremost historians on Roman Britain. It is tremendously thorough, informative and interesting on subjects ranging from culture to warfare to economics. One must keep in mind that it is a narrative history and not an in depth look at the lives of people in Roman Britain.

I loved the portrayal of the veneficium, but it seemed a tad out of character for someone of Servilia's sophistication. Don't you think?

Yes, it was rather over the top -- to the extent where it was almost comical. (As far as Servilia was concerned.)

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele Carnalis

I look forward to reading the review on Anthony Birley's The African Emperor: Septimius Severus. I had heard about speculation that he may have been from North Africa but not much beyond that it was speculation. ANy more information would be interesting.

Severus was definately from North Africa... Lepcis Magna (in modern Libya) to be precise. The speculation is more about his ethnicity, but its most likely that he was of largely of Phoenician stock. His mother's family (Fulvius) was originally from Italy indicating his Italian roots, but mixed Berber ancestry is also a possibility. Though due to numerous adoptions in the political world, it's difficult to be absolutely certain.

Severus was definately from North Africa... Lepcis Magna (in modern Libya) to be precise. The speculation is more about his ethnicity, but its most likely that he was of largely of Phoenician stock. His mother's family (Fulvius) was originally from Italy indicating his Italian roots, but mixed Berber ancestry is also a possibility. Though due to numerous adoptions in the political world, it's difficult to be absolutely certain.

Interesting. Thanks.