UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What's Your Pet Peeve

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many pet peeves for me, but minorities using racism as a double standard irks/vexes me terribly. (exempli gratia: affirmative action).

I don't mean to start a fight, but my pet peeve is white folk acting as if they are suffering from some sort of reverse racism.

Well, you've asked for it! I am of a certain age, and I think peeves come easier to us than most...whatever...I envy those of you who only have one pet peeve. A few of mine are:

MP3 players on buses. Now I love music as much as the next guy, and I have been known to travel to work with my ears stuffed with headphones pouring out everything from David Bowie's early albums to Gotterdammerung, but I keep my headphones in and am no trouble to anyone else. Why, then, do today's little swines think it hilarious to play their MP3 players at full volume on public transport? Grrrrhhh.

The ousting of the Gideon Bible in Hotels - I am an atheist. I have always been an atheist, and always will be an atheist - but I do respect others' beliefs, especially in a country that is supposed to be officially 'Christian'. We have lately had a ruling here that the placing of Gideon's bibles in hotel rooms has caused offence to certain parties and the bibles are therefore to be removed. Hey - they never caused offence to me as an atheist, nor have they ever caused offence to Jewish visitors over the ages - but it seems they are now taboo. Hindu and Buddist people haven't complained. A certain religion has complained. Need I go on....?

The British Tabloid Press - I have worked with them for years. I know that the editorial element is comprised of pond life. Why, then, do they hold such sway with public opinion? They are the most insidious, vile people, who have no morals, no backbone and no principles. And their influence over the populace is immense. When will we stop them?

Well, those are just 3 of my peeves - I'll stop here...I could go on all night.

Too many pet peeves for me, but minorities using racism as a double standard irks/vexes me terribly. (exempli gratia: affirmative action).

I don't mean to start a fight, but my pet peeve is white folk acting as if they are suffering from some sort of reverse racism.

At the risk of sending us to Tartarus or the Arena, Ilian - could you explain what you mean by this. I am genuinely interested in this.

Augusta, there is nothing personal going on (or at least I think so). Constantinus stated his pet peeve about general state of minorities' victim mentaliy, I presume, and I thought I should say something from another perspective. I don't think either of us meant to offend anybody.

Augusta, there is nothing personal going on (or at least I think so). Constantinus stated his pet peeve about general state of minorities' victim mentaliy, I presume, and I thought I should say something from another perspective. I don't think either of us meant to offend anybody.

Hey, Ilian - I am not offended in any way. In fact, it is almost impossible to offend me :lol: I was just interested to know what your thoughts were on the 'white folk acting as if they are suffering some sort of reverse racism'.

The two thirds of the populace who act like sheep and choose to remain stupid despite the fact there is a big world out there. They only like things the majority give them 'permission' to like, and slightly despise those who chose to do something a bit different. They will, for example, deride someone for liking opera, then suddenly claim they have 'always sort of liked opera - a bit', and go out and but a pavarotti CD because its now ok to do so, because the soccer world cup uses it as its theme tune. They suddenly like jazz because Robbie Williams does a pastiche of Frank Sinatra, when previously they think people who have liked Jazz all their lives are strange. They knock people for train spotting, yet spend half their lives watching soaps and half believing them to be real. They call battle re-enactors, classic vehicle enthusiasts and other hobbyists 'Boys with Toys', yet they have houses filled with cheap electrical goods aimed at providing passive entertainment. They accuse me and my ilk of having our heads in the clouds, yet they read newspapers which fill their heads with sport, celebrity gossip and crime stories, and switch off the news to watch a daft quiz show. They excuse their children's appalling behaviour claiming there is nothing for them to do, when they live half a mile from the nearest library, museum, and open countryside. Such people deserve to be plugged into the Matrix, because they are half way there already!!! :lol:

Edited by Northern Neil

The two thirds of the populace who act like sheep and choose to remain stupid despite the fact there is a big world out there. They only like things the majority give them 'permission' to like, and slightly despise those who chose to do something a bit different. They will, for example, deride someone for liking opera, then suddenly claim they have 'always sort of liked opera - a bit', and go out and but a pavarotti CD because its now ok to do so, because the soccer world cup uses it as its theme tune. They suddenly like jazz because Robbie Williams does a pastiche of Frank Sinatra, when previously they think people who have liked Jazz all their lives are strange. They knock people for train spotting, yet spend half their lives watching soaps and half believing them to be real. They call battle re-enactors, classic vehicle enthusiasts and other hobbyists 'Boys with Toys', yet they have houses filled with cheap electrical goods aimed at providing passive entertainment. They accuse me and my ilk of having our heads in the clouds, yet they read newspapers which fill their heads with sport, celebrity gossip and crime stories, and switch off the news to watch a daft quiz show. They excuse their children's appalling behaviour claiming there is nothing for them to do, when they live half a mile from the nearest library, museum, and open countryside. Such people deserve to be plugged into the Matrix, because they are half way there already!!! :lol:

Hmm...is this the British populace that you are talking in general? Sounds like America where 85% of people have no idea who their congressmen is or who we are fighting in Iraq or what a Sunnii/Shia is. That's another pet peeve of mine, people who rant about politics, ethics, etc but cannot support their views with justifiable evidence.

I hate the fact that K-rock no longer has any rock music, that it is all talk-radio. Granted that I do listen to some of it(I am a big fan of the Radio Chick and occasionally enjoy Oppie & Anthony), however this does not excuse the fact that 90% of the rest are opinionated and extremely ignorant(Nick DePaolo). Dont we have decades worth of great rock music that we can plan instead of these idiots? When I drive home from work at 12 o'clock at night I would love to hear some Pink Floyd, instead Im forced to endure the ranting of some nobody with terrible jokes.

KROCK you stink!!!!

That the creators of the Simpsons continue to drag the show down further and further for the sake of cash. The show went from one of the most original programs on TV(years, years ago) to absolutely unbearable repetitive slap-stick humor. Sad! Really sad!

Edited by Divi Filius

Hip-Hop, Rap, Gangsta Rap, and corn fed white kids from places like North Dakota dressing like Tupac Shakur and talking like they grew up in some inner city ghetto all their lives.

Also, when people gratuitously change place names. Bombay is now Mumbai, Burma is now Myanmar, Madras is now Chennai, Ceylon is now Sri Lanka. Really irritating.

Also, being South Asian originally, I have a sentimental attachment to Bollywood movie songs from the 60s and 70s. I really despise the kind of trash they're dishing out these days over there. Unbelievable how much peoples' tastes have deteriorated. And the new generation that listens to that caca, they're even more irritating, especially when they deliberately avoid listening to older numbers just because of peer pressure. How much of a herd mentality can you get?

Edited by Gladius xx

The two thirds of the populace who act like sheep and choose to remain stupid despite the fact there is a big world out there. They only like things the majority give them 'permission' to like, and slightly despise those who chose to do something a bit different. They will, for example, deride someone for liking opera, then suddenly claim they have 'always sort of liked opera - a bit', and go out and but a pavarotti CD because its now ok to do so, because the soccer world cup uses it as its theme tune. They suddenly like jazz because Robbie Williams does a pastiche of Frank Sinatra, when previously they think people who have liked Jazz all their lives are strange. They knock people for train spotting, yet spend half their lives watching soaps and half believing them to be real. They call battle re-enactors, classic vehicle enthusiasts and other hobbyists 'Boys with Toys', yet they have houses filled with cheap electrical goods aimed at providing passive entertainment. They accuse me and my ilk of having our heads in the clouds, yet they read newspapers which fill their heads with sport, celebrity gossip and crime stories, and switch off the news to watch a daft quiz show. They excuse their children's appalling behaviour claiming there is nothing for them to do, when they live half a mile from the nearest library, museum, and open countryside. Such people deserve to be plugged into the Matrix, because they are half way there already!!! ;)

Tell us how you really feel :lol:

I heartily agree, though.

I'm adding a new peeve: Daughters who have laptops donated to them by their hard-working parents, and then moan and groan when said parent wants to use laptop to post on favourite forum because said parent's own PC is shot! This is something I shall remedy with a whip and the threat of starvation... ;)