UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Virgil61

Kurt Vonnegut Dead at 84

One of the great American writers has passed on. Sometimes great books, sometimes not so great, with Vonnegut as the NY Times says you love him or you hate him. I've read Slaughterhouse Five a couple of times; reflecting his time as a POW during the fire-bombing of Dresden wrapped in a science fiction story. It's probably his greatest contribution to literature. And so it goes.

Edited by Virgil61

I've read all his books at various times and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I had the pleasure of meeting Kurt Vonnegut one year at the Steinbeck Awards, an annual benefit for the Southampton College Library. I'll always remember what an erudite and gentle man he was. His passing is a sorrowful loss.

-- Nephele

When I heard this on the way to work my heart sank & it's extremely rare that I am moved by such news in regards to a 'celeb'.

I loved Vonnegut's style and a few of his books have a solid place in my top 10. (Sirens of Titan is still my favorite of his)

He was a one of a kind.

May Hermes Psycopompus and Vanth conduct his shade with the utmost care...

I love this quote from his BBC obituary: He once joked: "I'm suing a cigarette company because on the package they promised to kill me, and yet here I am."

One of the great American writers has passed on. Sometimes great books, sometimes not so great, with Vonnegut as the NY Times says you love him or you hate him. I've read Slaughterhouse Five a couple of times; reflecting his time as a POW during the fire-bombing of Dresden wrapped in a science fiction story. It's probably his greatest contribution to literature. And so it goes.

Not only great American writer but one of the world's greatest writers. What a loss!

Not only great American writer but one of the world's greatest writers. What a loss!

At 84 and a chain-smoker, that's not a bad run.

I've never heard of him prior to this. Perhaps I will check him out, his Slaughterhouse-Five looks intriguing.

At 84 and a chain-smoker, that's not a bad run.

Something about the old generation of smokers...

I've never heard of him prior to this.

Oh what a travesty... I knew we were going to hear that eventually from one of the younger members of the site. :D

I've never heard of him prior to this. Perhaps I will check him out, his Slaughterhouse-Five looks intriguing.

No? Wow! I was introduced to his works back in 9th grade. This news makes me sad... one of the few times I'm actually sad after a famous person dies...

True story, Word of Honor:

Joseph Heller, an important and funny writer now dead, and I were at a party given by a billionaire on Shelter Island.

I said, "Joe, how does it make you feel to know that our host only yesterday may have made more money than your novel 'Catch-22' has earned in its entire history?"

And Joe said, "I've got something he can never have."

And I said, "What on earth could that be, Joe?"

And Joe said, "The knowledge that I've got enough."

Not bad! Rest in peace!

- Kurt Vonnegut

Rest in peace.

No? Wow! I was introduced to his works back in 9th grade.

Consider yourself fortunate!

Moon,

It made my day to learn that he and Joe Heller were friends... (makes sense though) Something Happened is one of the best American novels of all time.

Moon,

It made my day to learn that he and Joe Heller were friends... (makes sense though) Something Happened is one of the best American novels of all time.

Haven't read that one. So many books, so little time! Perhaps I'll take a little trip to the bookstore. :D