UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Gunman, 32 others killed in Va. shooting

I have friends who are still at Tech and who still live in Blacksburg. I have professors who I care very deeply about who teach in that building. The coworker of a good friend of mine lost her daughter in the shooting.

Deepest condolences to you and your friends, CyricVT.

I echo this, too...Did you know anyone who was injured or killed? How are you doing with this?

I think that I once spoke with the German teacher. If memory serves me correctly, he shared an office with my former German professor. I think he was one of three German instructors at the university. Everyone else that I know appears to be physically OK and alive.

I'm having a pretty hard time with the whole thing. Every time I start to feel better something new (like the videos released tonight) brings out the raw emotions again.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG I'm watching the news, and they had footage from a student's camera phone... the person was running... you could hear the footsteps... a shot... and the phone fell to the ground...

OMG I'm watching the news, and they had footage from a student's camera phone... the person was running... you could hear the footsteps... a shot... and the phone fell to the ground...

They've also recently released tape videos of and by the killer himself on NBC. This guy really had it planned out.

i've heard a lot about this on the news...worse than Columbine? *shakes head* the gunman sounds like a guy with serious problems. wrote a bunch of angry plays and poems and stuff. scary.

what i don't like about the situation is that somehow, people (specifically the guys who "run" this country) find a way to turn things like this into a political thing, what with the gun control laws controversy and all. like CyricVT said, we should just "mourn the dead and care for the wounded, the families, and the community." there are countless opinions and speculations and hard feelings, but it's still a tragedy any way you look at it.

ahem. sorry. condolences to anyone who needs it.

Edited by Oracus

i've heard a lot about this on the news...worse than Columbine? *shakes head* the gunman sounds like a guy with serious problems. wrote a bunch of angry plays and poems and stuff. scary.

what i don't like about the situation is that somehow, people (specifically the guys who "run" this country) find a way to turn things like this into a political thing, what with the gun control laws controversy and all. like CyricVT said, we should just "mourn the dead and care for the wounded, the families, and the community." there are countless opinions and speculations and hard feelings, but it's still a tragedy any way you look at it.

ahem. sorry. condolences to anyone who needs it.

You make a good point, Oracus. A few years ago in Britain we had an incident where a crazed idiot ran into a primary school (your elementary school) in Scotland and killed a class of youngsters before putting an end to himself. I can't remember political capital being made out of it - although maybe my fellow Brits on the board remember it differently. However, as I think someone has already mentioned in this thread, if you have a gun in this country it has to have a licence (or at least that is the theory - there will also be the criminal element), therefore the argument of everyone's right to bear arms - which (if I remember correctly) is your second amendment - please feel free to leap on me if I have that wrong - just doesn't come into the equation. In this case, a one off - the man had some very serious mental problems. No doubt the chap who mowed down the college students in this current attack was similarly afflicted. No amount of legislation can stop a criminal getting his hands on a gun if he is determined; just as no amount of lobbying to take away the right of people to bear arms can prevent a sick person from committing an act such as this. I sometimes think the powers that be get too caught up in theories and ideals and do not look at the individual picture. This man was sick, just as our Scottish man was sick. I think that is what needs to be addressed - not the law concerning firearms.