UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Imaginary Party

One of my all-time favorite comic strips is "Elderberries"--mostly because I love Phil Frank. Often the characters go into a run-down Cadillac and take imaginary trips...to remember the 'good old days,' or to escape for a bit into a dream world where things go right, or just to shirk the evil grasps of Boredom.

So, after this black day, and after Nephele pushed me into the impluvium, I think we should start an Imaginary Party...Roman or otherwise...cuz Lord knows I need it today.

So...

I imagine Caesar's Palace (in Roma or in Vegas...take your pick)...everyone in their finest togas (or elegant wear). I know my nails are painted gold, since they match my gold sandals, my hair done up, my face painted, I'm perfumed, and I'm ready to go. Goblet of wine in one hand, nibblies in the other, going around and avoiding Nephele, lest she try to push me in the impluvium again. (Do it, go on...you'll be the drowned rat, not I! hahaha!)

Take it away!

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nephele observes Docoflove from across the atrium in Caesar's Palace. Now that Nephele has changed into a dry stola and has had her hair re-arranged, she's ready to dish it back to the doc.

Gaily she glides across the marbled floor, slipping artfully between Doc and her conversation partner, a dour-faced M. Porcius Cato. Nephele smiles, purses her lips to blow a kiss to MPC, winks and tickles him under the chin (MPC is so amusing when he gets that goofy glazed look in his eyes).

Then Nephele turns her attention to Doc, narrowing her eyes like a cat. "Carissima, you're not wearing a garland! Here, take mine!" Nephele places a garland of lovely white flowers on Doc's head, then steps back to admire the effect. Doc smiles back nervously, then wonders why the garland seems to be... moving? She reaches a trembling hand upwards and grasps the garland... The flowers... are... furry? Doc quickly pulls the garland off her head and examines it closely. Those aren't white flowers -- those are MICE!

Nephele's wicked laughter reverberates through the marbled halls.

-- Nephele

Julius Ratus, who is half drunk as we speak, kicks the door open with sottish enthusiasm and enters the party wearing his very best lorica and helmet. He shouts out a few salutations to the Beloved Consuls G.O. nad A.o.S., and stumbles over to the wine bowl where he teaches MPC how to unwind. Before he can loose his wits and try hittin' on any of the Matrons, he falls to the floor and passes out. Ursus the butler dunks JR in the impluvium until he can sober up.

Ursus? The butler? Whoa, that's a good one!

Hmmmm...mice...Doc gets the caesus from out the ice box, and spreads it outside of the hall...grabs a flute from a wandering musician, and leads the mice out to the caesus...ratus no more!

Doc spies the loverly Pertinax among the crowd, plants a kiss on his cheek, and imbibes yet another Pertimaximusususus!

Dancing girls are under the delegation of Nephele...I'm just here for the vino. :wine:

Hope nobody minds I brought my friends.

3GIRLS.GIF

-- Nephele

The Augusta enters the celebrations fashionably late and stares in disbelief at the chaos before her. As a white mouse sneaks under her tunic and becomes upward bound, she holds out her hand to take a cupful of Pucine from a passing beauty and laconically remarks that she has nothing under her skirts that could possibly interest vermin. The imperial look is enough to shame Nephele, who screams when the mouse falls dead at the Augusta's feet, having bitten into her knee.

'Remove this offensive little object, Nephele, and find me a place to sit.'

Nephele grows brave in the face of death and retorts, 'That is no way to speak of Cato, lady.'

The Augusta's mouth twitches; humour lights her eyes. 'Perhaps you would be good enough to introduce us,' she says, sweeping all the guests with disdain, her searing gaze ready to fall upon the offender. Before Nephele can recover, the Augusta holds up her hand. 'No need, Nephele - I can spot him.' She points, correctly, to the man in the shabby toga, his bare chest reddened with the scars of the day's self-inflicted punishment. 'Have him brought before me.'

Nephele's lovely face colours and her eyes fill with tears. She swallows hard. Knowing that she has escaped death once, she is not inclined to risk it again. But fear of Cato is greater than her fear of the Augusta. 'Oh, lady,' she stutters. 'Cato is not a man to be brought before anyone. Not even you.'

The Augusta blinks, her face frozen in time for the briefest of moments. Nephele waits, suspended in the pause, imagining the agonies of stomach cramps. I hope she uses a quick-acting one, Nephele thinks to herself, lowering her eyes from the stony face before her. The Augusta waves a hand at Nephele dismissively and glides across the floor towards Cato. Pushing out her foot to be kissed, she discreetly motions him to prostrate hiimself.

'Lady - you must be joking!' says the man from Utica. They stare at each other in a silent battle of wits, and as a lone flute player strikes up a plaintive melody, the Augusta laughs, without humour. She ignores his look of distaste as she runs a beautifully manicured fingernail down a particularly raw scar on his chest.

'Of course I joke, Cato. I would not have a man of your heritage bow before an empress.' She smiles at him and it chills his blood. 'I was only going to suggest one of my own efficacious salves for these wounds. I would be honoured if you would see me about it later.' She turns to Doc and winks.

Nephele calmly observes The Augusta gliding across the atrium

Having satisfied one client and friend, Pantagathus again signals to his slave who acknowledges with a nod and ambles out through the portico. Intent on paying his respects to the host Pantagathus sees his friend Cato standing in front of the Augusta with a look of consternation on his face