UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Allergies

I think it would be common sense. I mean, they may not understand allergies, but if, for example they eat a mango and they get horrid acid burn blisters on their lips (as I do), and this happens every time they eat a mango, they will by nature avoid mangoes. It's not that they understand the allergy, it's that they notice the cause and effect and learn to avoid the cause, or suffer the consequences.

I've never been tested for the allergy, but I know it's there. I don't eat mangoes. :no2:

I think it would be common sense. I mean, they may not understand allergies, but if, for example they eat a mango and they get horrid acid burn blisters on their lips (as I do), and this happens every time they eat a mango, they will by nature avoid mangoes. It's not that they understand the allergy, it's that they notice the cause and effect and learn to avoid the cause, or suffer the consequences.

I've never been tested for the allergy, but I know it's there. I don't eat mangoes. :no2:

Most people, I think, are like this. I can't eat shellfish, else my stomach decides to empty itself of all contents (there is no good way to put that, is there?), and therefore I avoid all shellfish.

Although this does raise a different question, one that probably can't be answered: are food allergies more common now than in the past? I would think that if someone had grave food allergies (to glutens, to any major class of fruit/vegetables, etc.), that it would be viewed as a sign of weakness. As such, this person would be less-likely to reproduce; allergies tend to be (although not always) passed on genetically. So the possibility of passing on the propensity for allergies would go down...yet it seems like so many people have allergies nowadays.

Also, there are more pollutants/unusual food compounds today than there were in ancient Rome. There are more things that were never meant to be put into the body, and that will really screw up your system, today than ever before. (who's to say that all that yellow 5 lake and red 40 don't contribute to being unable to process certain compounds?) I actually think that the human race in general is a lot weaker now than it was then.

Allergies are a phenomen of the modern world caused by our upbringing in sterile enviroments. I spent many hours as a young lad wandering the countryside and - suprise suprise - no allergies. I think you'll find that very few romans ever suffered from such ailments, because if they did it was likely they'd be another young death.

An interesting theory connects eating of food from an area and living in the same area. Food from the area we live gives as defance against allergens from this inviroment. This is a good explanation to the increased occurence of allergies in corelation with increased food trade.

An interesting theory connects eating of food from an area and living in the same area. Food from the area we live gives as defance against allergens from this inviroment. This is a good explanation to the increased occurence of allergies in corelation with increased food trade.

LOL I think you're definitely right there. I remember what happened the first time I ate Greek salad. It was very good but afterwards wasn't too pretty.

I've never been tested for the allergy, but I know it's there. I don't eat mangoes. :)

For the sake of argument, and what I should have clarified... what about lavish meals, with many types of foods mixed?

"Ah... sorry Flavius, I cannot eat the shellfish, it gives me bumps."

For the sake of argument, and what I should have clarified... what about lavish meals, with many types of foods mixed?

Then it takes a little longer to figure out. It took me a while (and a few episodes of nasty reaction) to figure out the mango thing. As someone who used to eat new and exotic food all of the time (when I could afford it) I really had no idea what could be causing the reaction. As it turns out, I have a reaction to anything that has a lot of Vit. C (in varying degrees. Mangoes are the worst). That took forever to figure out, but now I know (for the most part) what to avoid.

I guess this sort of allergy (as unusual as it is) would be very difficult to understand. Thankfully my reaction isn't life threatening, because I had no idea what the common thread was at first. In a case like this (where it's a component of the food) I can't imagine it would be easy for those without a lot of in-depth knowledge about chemistry and foodstuffs to figure out. I mean, the Romans wouldn't know what Vit. C is, wouldn't know what foods contain it.

I can't eat shellfish, else my stomach decides to empty itself of all contents

I am the same, but with beer. Fortunately, this does not happen with small or moderate amounts.

I can't eat shellfish, else my stomach decides to empty itself of all contents

I am the same, but with beer. Fortunately, this does not happen with small or moderate amounts.

Uh huh...and I bet if you have enough biscuits, you get a bit of an ache in the stomach region? :)