UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Issues with personality conflicts/posting styles, etc.

I don't want anyone to read to much into this... but I think such a thing may sometimes need to be said...

As can happen with any discussion forum, we can occasionally have visible personality conflicts. Sometimes these issues arise due to posting styles that make some people uncomfortable while those involved see nothing wrong. Some are perfectly comfortable with a more conversational perspective and others don't feel involved unless the heart pumps just a bit faster.

As this is a site with members from around the world, sometimes there are issues with perception or intent of a conversation, based on primary and secondary languages. Sometimes people just aren't able to express exactly what they mean in a concise and proper manner. And, yes, sometimes some people even intend to be disruptive or agitating, or simply see nothing wrong with their own behavior.

Regardless, we have been fairly fortunate to have such issues on relatively rare occasions. I ask only that people give the benefit of the doubt in most cases and also let bygones be bygones if continued discussion illustrates an open tone. I don't ask that people do anything that is against their personal nature or belief system, but I will ask that people refrain from or limit the interaction with those whom they know to be openly disagreeable on a more personal basis. If you know a topic, or the participants in a topic, will only infuriate you, consider any posts carefully. In contrast, if you know that a thread is carrying a light tone, don't attempt to derail it in an opposite fashion. I do not wish to censor the discussion of history, but in fairness to everyone, it's also important that discussions be carried out in civil tone. I will not be a utopian fool and ask everyone to be friends, hold hands and sing kum ba yah to their deity of choice while flowers and visions of happiness float down upon our heads from the heavens, but civility should be a reasonable expectation.

People from all over the internet find this forum by different reasons. Some may be enthralled by a heated discussion of Republican Rome or ancient religion that others would find intolerable. Some may stumble across a light yet informative discussion of wine or poetry that others would condemn for reasons of personal taste. Some members of this forum enjoy aggressively debating to form opinion, extract information or to illustrate their points. Some simply want to be informed, others want to inform. Others enjoy a lighter perhaps more engaging conversational tone. In between these contrasting styles, our membership and visitors certainly represent the full spectrum of possible interests and preferences.

I only ask that toleration be the key. While we view civility and courtesy as paramount for the course on UNRV.com, sometimes people bump heads. We'll do our best to straighten things out, but please just try to make this a place that anyone and everyone would enjoy.

Thank You!

Chris

PS. A case in point... Pertinax' mother was a hamster and his father smells of elderberry, but I still think he's an ok guy.

An excellent post, PP. I, personally, come here to relax and exchange knowledge with people I respect. I hate it when members seem to fall out over something that happened 2,000 years ago. As for myself, I am happy to say I've had few real run-ins with people here, and if I think I may have offended anyone I always send that member a quick PM to pour oil on troubled waters, which nearly always seems to work. If there is someone with whom I feel dialogue is no longer possible, I deliberately refrain from posting an answer to their posts. Sometimes, it is better to walk away than spoil things for everyone else.

We can't all have the same opinions - and frankly, what would be the point? This forum is to exchange information and knowledge and to have some much needed fun. We all come to it for different reasons. On a personal note, I enjoy reading the serious posts of our members just as much as I enjoy dropping in to Doc's 'virtual party' in the Baths. Both approaches are necessary to my enjoyment of the forum.

Edited by The Augusta

Sometimes conflict forges friendships. I have had several disagreements with people on this forum who have since become friends, because such passionate discourse has made us more than just one - dimensional voices on a computer screen. I do agree though that things should be kept courteous, and nothing should ever be taken personally.

Edited by Northern Neil

On which point I quote Mr Ronald Atkinson , sometime football manager and television pundit "Mr Atkinson did you leave the club (Aston Villa) because of a personality conflict? " Reply " No , because nobody else had one " . Vibrant debate is stimulating, argument for its own sake is pointless.

ps: I will continue to say ni ! to Primus until he brings me ....a shrubbery! Ni!

I am told by many people in real life that I have no personality. I thus should not have anything to conflict with others.

Just give me your ground plan, preferred style of Domus and nominal deity, and as far as I am concerned, all I need to know about your personality is already there. Expect three months or so for delivery of your new house.

Just give me your ground plan, preferred style of Domus and nominal deity, and as far as I am concerned, all I need to know about your personality is already there.

Hah, just give me your name and I'll find your personality in anagram: Northern Neil = Thinner Loner. Yes? No? Have we got a personality conflict here? :unsure:

-- Nephele

I wasn't aware of any problems; and, since no one has pulled me aside or kicked my backside, I'm relieved that I apparently wasn't the cause of the OP.

However, from what I've seen here so far, this is inherently a civil place. My main hang-out is on a Skeptic's forum where it can be pretty wild and wooly, despite some comparatively heavy moderation. Most people there could eat the posts made here for breakfast, so I have to actively hold myself back, at times. That being the case, I apologise in advanceto anyone in the area if I should happen to forget where I am.

Edited by Marcus Caelius

Hah, just give me your name and I'll find your personality in anagram: Northern Neil = Thinner Loner. Yes? No? Have we got a personality conflict here? :)

-- Nephele

Not bad, not bad! I have indeed lived a semi reclusive life, holed up in my cosy little fortress for the past eight months. The thin-ness has broadened out a touch since hitting 45, though!

People tell me I have no soul because of my lack of emotion.

A pharaoh without soul? Maybe Seth stole it from you and now you must ask the Master of Mysterious Emoticons, the god consul, to help you in your quest. Of course, he will be happy to send you :):rip:

Hehehe, I make great jokes! :lol:

Of course, language it's often a barrier and so it's culture. Some times I don't get the jokes. What's an eldberry (a berry?) and why it's a bad thing to smell like that? Ni? Hamsters eat eldberry?

It nice to have both good debates and informations about our mutual thing and a cheerfull atmosphere. Usually, agressive people don't stay around much.