UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Gladiatores Font

Omega

Hello, I have been browsing this morning and late last night for a Roman "themed" font that looks like it is carved in stone. Similar to what is shown on the buildings of the movie Gladiator.

Where it says LVDVS FAMILIA GLADIATORES

I have found a few good links, but I can't seem to find the right one. If anyone knows what even the title of it is...that would help in research. As I can't tell from that movie as to which font they were using on the buildings, the Latin Alphabet? Or true Romanic lettering or font?

If someone knows the exact font, please let me know.

Omega

I don't recall if it's a font that came with MW Word 2003 or if I added it on, but I do have Castellar, which is a block-format. It's similar to what you want...have you tried that first?

I know that Microsoft used to have various add-ons to Office...maybe fonts are up there, too?

"Castellar is an all-capital display typeface designed by John Peters in 1957. Castellar is based on the inscriptions on a Roman column dedicated to Emperor Augustus. The incised quality of Castellar is recreated in the shading on the thick strokes. Castellar is a worthy font choice for titling and headlines."

You can find it here:

http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=202342

The cost is $24-29.

Thank you three for your posts. I greatly appreciate it. Not all people are as helpful, so mucho gracias.

I did check out Castellar, upon your suggestion, I didn't find it before. I don't really think that font has what I'm looking for, as I really want it to visually look like the writing on the roman buildings in Gladiator. I'm not a fanboy I just love everything about the movie, I have the 3 disc special edition and I have watched everything and looked at every picture. It's just an interesting time period and subject. I'm also going to be designing a roman themed skin for my religious website. Since...Jesus Christ was crucified under the Roman rule, so it's a time period thing for me.

Anyways, back on topic...lol

I think Justinian is nice, but I personally think Lithograph is the best, if not exact. After deep research last night I found a free copy, not torrents either, I don't do that. I'm surprised but it was only like one version of the 4 you normally get, I think it's Lithograph Light, regardless that one I think is the font.

Now my main issue is I can use a Latin Translator to put things into latin words, my only problem is I don't know what Latin Alphabet they used during that time and what letter is what letter?

If anyone can aid me on Latin Alphabet at this point I'd appreciate it.

Some nice roman fonts and such can be found here, like 5 pages of them:

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=204&page=2

Edited by Omega

Now my main issue is I can use a Latin Translator to put things into latin words, my only problem is I don't know what Latin Alphabet they used during that time and what letter is what letter?

If anyone can aid me on Latin Alphabet at this point I'd appreciate it.

Some nice roman fonts and such can be found here, like 5 pages of them:

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=204&page=2

Thanks for the link! The alphabet shouldn't be a problem (if I understand your question). For inscriptions, it's the same that we use now (but upper-case only). They did not use J or U or W; for J substitute I, for U substitute V. If you want an alternative to W (for a name or something) you can use VV.

You should know, though, that translation programs can't really write Latin (or any other language). They can give you words, just like dictionaries can, but you don't always know that they're the right words! And they can't put the words together into real sentences.

Thanks for the link! The alphabet shouldn't be a problem (if I understand your question). For inscriptions, it's the same that we use now (but upper-case only). They did not use J or U or W; for J substitute I, for U substitute V. If you want an alternative to W (for a name or something) you can use VV.

You should know, though, that translation programs can't really write Latin (or any other language). They can give you words, just like dictionaries can, but you don't always know that they're the right words! And they can't put the words together into real sentences.

Or do I just not use W altogether?

Oh, and I don't need the latin translation for sentences, just single words.

Like Economy for example or Books

, single words is all I need it for. Will the system give me accurate results or should I just ask someone here that speaks latin or knows it?

Because there are only like 10 words I need translated.

Words do not translate into context.

What do you mean by context?

Are you saying that only sentences made sense?

If so, how did anyone right there own name in Latin?

In general how would I be able to change just words into Latin? Surely it's possible as in every language single words mean things.

In general how would I be able to change just words into Latin? Surely it's possible as in every language single words mean things.

Of course they do (and it's because computer programs don't understand things that they can't translate effectively). But many single words, when you think about them carefully, mean more than one thing.

Yes, you can translate "just words", and people often do. But if you check a good dictionary, online or not, you often find that more than one word in the "target language" seems to correspond to the word you looked up. The choice you have to make depends partly on the context.

So, by all means, use your translator or online dictionary to give you possible words. Afterwards, feel free to check with people on this site -- we could probably help.