UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Divi Filius

Book wishlists on Amazon: What are you waiting for?

What books do you have stored on that wishlist on Amazon?

Here is my 'Classical Lovin' list:

Emperor in the Roman World

by Fergus Millar

Roman Military Equipment: From The Punic Wars To The Fall Of Rome

by M. C. Bishop (Author), J. C. N. Coulston (Author)

Exploratio: Military and Political Intelligence in the Roman World from the Second Punic War to the Battle of Adrianople

by N. J. E. Austin (Author)

Soldier and Civilian in the Later Roman Empire (Harvard Historical Monographs)

by Ramsey MacMullen (Author

Auxilia of the Roman Imperial Army

by G. L. Cheesman (Author)

A History of the Later Roman Empire, AD 284-641: The Transformation of the Ancient World (Blackwell History of the Ancient World)

by Stephen Mitchell (Author)

Remus: A Roman Myth

by Timothy Peter Wiseman (Author)

Agrippina: Sex, Power, and Politics in the Early Empire

by Anthony A. Barrett (Author)

The Late Roman Army

by Pat Southern (Author), Karen Ramsey Dixon (Author)

Augustus (Roman Imperial Biographies)

by Pat Southern (Author)

Law and Life of Rome, 90 B.c.a.d. 212 (Aspects of Greek and Roman Life)

by J.A. Crook (Author)

The Cults of the Roman Empire (Ancient World (Oxford, England).)

by Robert Turcan (Author), Antonia Nevill (Translator)

The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome and the Barbarians

by Peter Heather (Author)

Caesar: Politician and Statesman

by Mattias Gelzer (Author), Peter Needham (Translator)

The Beginnings of Rome: Italy From the Bronze Age to the Punic Wars (Circa 1,000 to 264 B.C.) (Routledge History of the Ancient World)

Edited by Divi Filius

Hot stuff! I just now placed an order for this one -- thanks for the recommendation, MPC!

Hey... Is there anyone here inclined to post a "5 Books on Roman Sex" for the Quintus Libri Project?

-- Nephele

Hot stuff! I just now placed an order for this one -- thanks for the recommendation, MPC!

I have read this book, O' Cloudy Libidinous one, and I believe you shall enjoy it. :P My review is on the site if you are interested.

As for listing 5 books, it would require more research. And perhaps some reenacting.

Roman Architecture

Rome on Five Denarii a Day.

Empire of Pleasures (Hey, Mr. Dalby, can I get an autographed copy? :P )

Oh, that Meier biography on Caesar that MPC recommends.

I have Empire of Pleasures on my list, as well as AD's Dictionary of Languages. As for others somehow associated with Rome or the like, the only one is:

Cultural Identity in the Roman Empire

by Dr Joanne Berry

But...there's so much on there, both linguistic, personal (music, esp.), and 'other' (general whims). Oh, and a whole bunch of Asterix books!

I have read this book, O' Cloudy Libidinous one, and I believe you shall enjoy it. :P My review is on the site if you are interested.

As for listing 5 books, it would require more research. And perhaps some reenacting.

A thoroughly absorbing review, o unbridled ursine one.

"The book itself is basically a visual feast of some very explicit art pieces. The writing is clear and erudite enough. I highly recommend this work. I have seen no other work that places Roman sexuality in such precise terms. Whether you agree with Roman sexuality or not, you will be better informed on the subject."

Precisely the book I'm looking for, for my reading at the beach. With all that healthy salt sea air, seems a perfect place for... um... inspired research.

I was holding off on buying Ancient Rome on Five Denarii a Day, as I've been waiting for another review copy to turn up at the Strand. I picked one up at half price at the Strand before its official release date and, because it's set in the year 200 C.E., I was planning to compare it in review to my old favorite A Day in Old Rome (which is set in 134 C.E.). But a Romanophile author friend of mine had a birthday this month, so I sent it to her as a present instead.

I've given up waiting for the Strand to get another copy, and have now ordered the book from Amazon. I did have a look at the review copy I had, before I sent it off to my friend, and it's brilliant. The book even lists ancient travel time by sea from various ports to Rome (for planning your ancient Roman holiday, in case you live in one of the provinces). The book quotes numerous primary sources, as well. Can't wait to get my hands back on another copy -- this time for myself.

-- Nephele

My Amazon wishlist is 6 pages long....

Ah - a man after my own heart! I have wishlists on Amazon AND Blackwells and you do not want to know what the total cost is! But I can give you all a clue by saying that 6 volumes of the Cambridge Ancient History are on there too - a mere snip at

My Own Classical themed Amazon wishlist:

Atlas of the Classical World - Richard Talbert (its being on the list since April 2005!)

The Greco-Persian Wars - Peter Green ( a great author, I really enjoyed his biography of Alexander)

Granicus 334 BC - Alexander's first Persian Victory - Michael Thompson ( not yet published)

Theodosius: The Empire at Bay (Roman Imperial Biographies) - Stephen Williams , J.G.P. Friell.

Roman Battle Tactics 109BC - AD313 (Elite) - Ross Cowan (Not yet published)

Ruling the Later Roman Empire (Revealing Antiquity) - Christopher Kelly

The Goths (Peoples of Europe) - Peter Heather

The Huns (Peoples of Europe) - E.A. Thompson

The Army of Herod the Great (Men-at-arms) - Samuel Rocco (Not yet published)

Emperor Constantine - Michael Grant

The Two Voulmes of The Later Roman Empire - A.H.M Jones (Very expensive, I don't think I'll be able to buy these)

Great Women of Imperial Rome - Jasper Burns.

The Two Voulmes of The Later Roman Empire - A.H.M Jones (Very expensive, I don't think I'll be able to buy these)

Oh how my heart bleeds! My wishlist includes two volumes of The Prosopography of the Later Roman Empire; A.D.527-641 by J.R. Martindale, each of which comes in at about

Edited by sonic

OK, here goes. This is my 'must-have-soons' on my Blackwell's list - although most titles can be bought at Amazon too - and they do ship a couple days earlier than Blackwell. (I've left out the CAHs)

A History of the Roman Republic - Klaus Bringmann

The Beginnings of Rome 753-264 - Tim Cornell

The Severans - Michael Grant

The Roman Near East 31BC-AD337 - Fergus Millar

The Myceneans - Rodney Castledon

Magic and Magicians in the Greco-Roman World - Matthew W. Dickie

Religion in the Roman Empire - James Rives

The Roman Empire from Severus to Constantine - Pat Southern

Marriage, Divorce and Children in Ancient Rome - Beryl Rawson

Children and Childhood in Roman Italy - Beryl Rawson

Cultural Responses to the Persian Wars: Antiquity to the Third Millennium - Bridges, Hall & Rhodes

That's just the immediate ones...!