UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Marcus Caelius

Roman Empire Wallmap Marketing

Yep! The map page will be up as long as we have them.

http://www.unrv.com/roman-map-for-sale.php

Look, these things are too damn good to let them go out of print. Have you guys tried some of the marketing ideas I suggested? Another possible venue might be the fan sites for the various Rome-based computer games that are out.

ETA: I just posted an ad/link on a forum I've belonged to for years. If I get banned, there, I expect a certain amount of consideration, here. ;)

Edited by Marcus Caelius

We'll keep printing them as long as people want them. There's also been discussion of additional maps. The marketing is tricky when you have a site like this which is run in spare time and when you are trying to prevent others from taking liberties with your work.

The marketing is tricky when you have a site like this which is run in spare time and when you are trying to prevent others from taking liberties with your work.

What marketing have you tried? What "liberties" are you afraid of? I gather there are several published authors present, here, representing a lot of publishing and marketing experience, and I can't see them refusing to lend advice. Near as I can tell, if you don't find this web site you won't be able to find the map. It's obvious that a lot of scholarship went into compiling and drawing it, and it would be criminal to intentionally keep it so unavailable.

If you're worried about being able to handle distribution and legal issues, why not just hand it over to a commercial publisher? Just off the top of my head, Barnes and Noble has their own comparatively small publishing house, and would seem ideal. Let them do all the work while you take in the royalties. Mind you, I'm not envisioning a Brinks truck rolling up to your house every month, but still...

What marketing have you tried? What "liberties" are you afraid of? I gather there are several published authors present, here, representing a lot of publishing and marketing experience, and I can't see them refusing to lend advice. Near as I can tell, if you don't find this web site you won't be able to find the map. It's obvious that a lot of scholarship went into compiling and drawing it, and it would be criminal to intentionally keep it so unavailable.

If you're worried about being able to handle distribution and legal issues, why not just hand it over to a commercial publisher? Just off the top of my head, Barnes and Noble has their own comparatively small publishing house, and would seem ideal. Let them do all the work while you take in the royalties. Mind you, I'm not envisioning a Brinks truck rolling up to your house every month, but still...

Well usually, our terms are that our logo/website address stay on the map and we don't hear back after that, lol. The site is still growing, and we're learning as we go, so there will always be some sort of improvement in the works.

The marketing is tricky when you have a site like this which is run in spare time and when you are trying to prevent others from taking liberties with your work.

Hi Marcus,

...as marketing is mostly my departement i try to answer...

First of all, we are not afraid of anything :)

This is an online "operation", so we rely on the internet, and currently google rules there, so whatever keyword you type in there when looking for a roman empire map/poster our site is on the first page, so people do find it. There are also many sites that refer to it already and the list is growing steadily. In addition of course we do get many word of mouth advertising (just like yours), which is in any case the most powerful way of marketing, as we do believe a happy customer is the best advertising there is...

There is of course always room for improvement and we do try to get the word out as much as possible and we do also believe people like yourself that appreciate the map are our best marketing "vehicle"

btw. Barnes & Noble.com no longer sells Prints & Posters

We appreciate your effort and so please keep on suggesting ideas on how to get the word out :)

cheers

viggen