UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

opinions needed on PC games

Ursus

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually bought Rome Total War plus the Barbarian expansion pack. I am trying to get used to the controls/interface. But the graphics are great, and so far seems quite gratifying.

Nothing Beats RTW! If your struggling remember don't fight like the Romans, fight a bit differently, I conquered the whole world in summer 210bc as the greeks (I don't have Barb expansion) but i don't think you really care :suprise: However have fun!!!

vtc

I actually bought Rome Total War plus the Barbarian expansion pack. I am trying to get used to the controls/interface. But the graphics are great, and so far seems quite gratifying.

If you want to try the Rome Total Realism modification. It's highly recommended in every possible way.

Talking of Rome: Total Realism, it has gotten me wondering, whatever happened to Europa Barbarorum? They began that mod before Rome: Total War was released. Nearly four years later (plus one sequel, three expansion packs and another sequel on the way - "Empire: Total War") and the last I heard, they were still making tweaks to the game engine...that's an amazing amount of work and dedication. This MOD has more features than most Total War games combined! Here's hoping they'll finish it eventually...and that it works on my PC of course.

When talking about Rome Total War, they are working on Empire: Total War right now, and it's certainly looking great. Sea battles included for the first time.

More information here

If you want to try the Rome Total Realism modification. It's highly recommended in every possible way.

I am going to bookmark the site - but at 40 MB this is going to have to wait till I get a cable modem. It would take forever on my dial-up.

I also agree, Rome: Total Realism (RTR) is a serious must. I actually cannot stand playing the vanilla RTW now that I've played with that mod so extensively. I would suggest to you Ursus to just get familiar with the vanilla RTW first before trying RTR, because so much is changed by that mod.

I have heard some people say that RTR slows down the game (as far as it takes longer to build armies and such, not computer performance) but in my opinion, I have more fun when the game is accurate to history.

So far all of the games that have been listed are of the best Roman themed games out there. :blink:

This game is starting to get on my nerves. Having the resources and armed forces of Italy divided between 3 great Houses is nonsense. Having the Senate assign missions which the Houses are free to accept or deny is nonsense. The Player should be allowed to play the Senate and plot the grand stategy of the empire, while delineating campaigns to the magistrates or warlords.

The graphics and audio are incredible, including some suprisingly good opera like music, but I don't like the premise. And the larger the armies, the harder it is to control on the battlefield.

Ursus,

Vanilla RTW, is horrible I know. 3 faction system....(yeah, I really have nothing to say on the 3 faction system that doesn't turn my stomach) You should try one of the excellent mods. RTR is mentioned alot on this board, but their are a few that are better. (Don't get me wrong everyone RTR is fine and fun. But it's not -that- realistic) if you are looking for about as real as RTW can get try Europa Barbarium. And if you want the slightly relaxed gameplay of RTR with some added features try Roma Surrectum. Or stick with the tried and tested RTR

Ursus,

Vanilla RTW, is horrible I know. 3 faction system....(yeah, I really have nothing to say on the 3 faction system that doesn't turn my stomach) You should try one of the excellent mods. RTR is mentioned alot on this board, but their are a few that are better. (Don't get me wrong everyone RTR is fine and fun. But it's not -that- realistic) if you are looking for about as real as RTW can get try Europa Barbarium. And if you want the slightly relaxed gameplay of RTR with some added features try Roma Surrectum. Or stick with the tried and tested RTR

Thanks for that suggestion Caius, I just installed Europa Barbarorum over the weekend and it is great. It breathed new life into RTW and the scripting feature is excellent, I can't wait till 218BC for hannibal to invade. Historically speaking EB is a high step above RTR and the AI is excellent. The depressing thing about RTW and RTR is the AI is rather remedial, even on hard, however EB's AI actually employs cavalry, attempts to flank your units, and utilizes ranged infantry much more strategically.

Overall it is a great mod, thanks for brining EB to our attentions. :lol:

Edited by Diocles

Ursus,

Thanks for that suggestion Caius, I just installed Europa Barbarorum over the weekend and it is great. It breathed new life into RTW and the scripting feature is excellent, I can't wait till 218BC for hannibal to invade. Historically speaking EB is a high step above RTR and the AI is excellent. The depressing thing about RTW and RTR is the AI is rather remedial, even on hard, however EB's AI actually employs cavalry, attempts to flank your units, and utilizes ranged infantry much more strategically.

Overall it is a great mod, thanks for brining EB to our attentions. :)

Not a problem in the least, glad to be of service Ursus. If you ever get tired of EB (You won't I haven't, I have RTW installed twice one for EB and the other for RS) You might want to read all of the read-mes because as it is realistic it's also harder. Like you don't get a "Marian reform" without doing ALOT of stuff. You need a "Charismatic, selfless (or selfish ) general, set number of battle fought and some other things. Same thing as the Augustian reforms . I don't know how long you have played. But BEWARE of Carthage. I have been thrashed...about 40 times in 20 years. Almost lost sicily.

Also, I want to know, Roma Svrrectvm's AI is on par with EB if not better. (They did something with 'command units' which I refer to in another thread. Either way, both mods are killer