UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Primary Sources

spittle

I am ready to take the plunge and attempt to read some of the primary materials. Especially appealing to me is the idea of reading Caesars Commentaries and I would appreciate suggestions on the best English translations or any relevant information. Any and all recomendations will be helpful to me, so please fell free to enthuse at will.

My education is virtually non-existant and I enjoy authors such as Tom Holland, Adrian Goldworthy and Richard Holland. The more academic works are a little much for me so please offer suggestions within the scope of these limitations.

thanks.

You find most works here.

I would recommend Suetonius emperor biographies. They're great fun to read! The one I have is translated my Robert Graves, but I can't say much about the quality of the translation. Was a long time since I read it.

You find most works here.

I would recommend Suetonius emperor biographies. They're great fun to read! The one I have is translated my Robert Graves, but I can't say much about the quality of the translation. Was a long time since I read it.

I love reading Suetonius - his style is like our present-day tabloids. The copy I have has the bit about Tiberius' goings-on in Latin (Chapters XLIII and XLIV) (the Loeb translation) - I got it from Gutenberg. Robert Graves did the translation which is quoted int he Gutenberg text. It is amusing to read Tacitus' take on it, he puts it far more delicately than Suetonius did. Great fun to read.

Read Herodotus' History it is also a fun read, the first time I read about Xerxes lashing the water of the Hellespont for breaking his bridge, I must admit I did laugh out loud.

Enjoy the reading. Please let me know how you are getting on - I am doing a final exam about the original texts in 4 weeks so I am very interested in this subject.

My education is virtually non-existant and I enjoy authors such as Tom Holland, Adrian Goldworthy and Richard Holland.

Salve, S.

That phrase would be an oxymoron.

Quoting Tom Holland, I would begin with Plutarch.

After that, I would keep on with his historians' prescription; Tacitus, Cassius Dio, Appian et Cetera.

But the real primary source, by antonomasia, is Cicero.

As Klingan, I also love Suetonius' gossip.

And check out frequently the Smith's dictionaries.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

thanks to one and all.

The site that KLINGAN directed me too is an absolute goldmine!

• 2 months later...

I see no mention of Polybius, of whom I'm a huge admirer. I heartily recommend his Histories, especially book VI, for his insights into the Roman 'mixed constitution,' and for his insight and observations of the Roman army in the second century BC. There is plenty of great material to be found in his books, which are heavily focused on the Second Punic War.

Edited by DDickey