UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

So, what are you watching lately?

Viggen

We have a thread on what you are currently reading, so i wonder what are you currently watching?

I am not big into TV (other then documentaries and sport), however i do love good movies...

I have to confess the big mighty emperor Viggen is very very soft when it comes to his movie taste, my favourites are romantic comedies, i cant help it, but watching those kind of movies just gives me all i want, laughing, happy end and a good fuzzy warm feeling afterwards ;)

The last couple DVD`s i watched this week, were also one of the best in a long time in that genre (although those are not new they are new to me, i am not heavy into going to the big screen either...)

1. The Holiday

Nancy Meyers at her best, what a chic flick de luxe,

Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz and Jack Black, if you like chic flicks you better watch this, it wont get much better then this...

2. Bend It Like Beckham

This is one of those british gems that just stand out of the crowd, not sure if it was popular in the US because of the soccer theme, but i tell you, you better watch it, a fantastic feel good story...

3. Only You

Marisa Tomei, and Robert Downey Jr. at his most charming, the setting is venice and other parts of Italy. You like romance? Then you need to see this lovely flick...

So there you have it, my Schmaltz Collection of the last few weeks :)

cheers

viggen

Mrs G and I are more TV people than movie people. We have what I term "an aggressive television viewing schedule" with TiVo season passes to way too many shows to keep up. Shows that we currently watch are:

Heroes

Journeyman

Back to You

Cane

Kid Nation

The Office

Friday Night Lights

Curb Your Enthusiasm

ER (her)

Grey's Anatomy (her)

We will also watch the following when they return:

LOST

American Idol

Battlestar Gallactica

Flight of the Conchords

24 (I generally lose interest 8 hours or so in)

In addition, I love football and have the NFL Season Ticket so that I can watch my New Yawk football Giants every week. I will also watch almost any college game that's on (BC vs Va Tech last night ... wow!).

We don't watch a lot of TV, but we do set the DVR and watch a couple of shows (or a movie) with some wine on Friday/Saturday night.

I do like cooking shows.... and the thing is, I don't cook a damn thing. ;) (Except BBQ).

I will watch regularly:

American Football (college & pro) & Hockey

My wife and I will watch:

Kitchen Nightmares (I don't like Hell's Kitchen but Gordon Ramsay kicks ass in this one)

Top Chef (I know "reality" tv blows, but I like the cooking aspects)

Ghost Hunters (they never find a thing that isn't easily explained away, but I enjoy it for some unexplained reason, and my wife likes it)

Things we will stop and watch for a few minutes if we happen to stumble across it...

Iron Chef (and "The Next Iron Chef") - similar to Top Chef with lots of silliness thrown in.

Dirty Jobs - Mike Rowe provides some good clean (er dirty) fun.

Survivorman The dramatics are a bit much, but its entertaining

What Not to Wear Embarrassing to admit, but I like it... I get a kick the fact that the hosts tell everyone else how to dress, but rarely seem to follow their own rules in their personal styles.

Stand-Up Comedy Full length HBO specials or short "Comedy Central" type shows... we'll give most of this stuff at least a shot.

I don't watch teevee because I can't tolerate all the commercial breaks. Even with cable (which is supposed to be commercial-free), those distracting little pop-up ads and station identification logos in the corner of the screen drive me insane.

So I wait for stuff that interests me to come out on DVD (which means I'm always a year or more behind everyone else when it comes to teevee shows).

I'm currently watching on DVD Season 2 of Bones -- a brilliant detective drama series about a forensic anthropologist assisting the FBI on seemingly unsolvable murder cases.

The series (airing on the Fox Network) is based on the novels of real-life forensic anthropologist Kathy Reichs, who not only produces the television series, but who also has appeared in at least one episode ("Judas on a Pole", Season 2).

Bones often combines a touch of macabre humor with horrifically realistic scenes of corpses that have been eviscerated, boiled, charred, sliced, diced, and whathaveyou. (This is not a series for the squeamish.)

The interplay between the two main characters, atheist forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan and theist FBI Agent Seely Booth, plus the wonderful supporting cast of characters, truly makes this television at its very best.

-- Nephele

On the whole, I watch very few series...most of them are rubbish, to say the least. I always have sports and the Food Network on, as they are my two main passions. But there are some shows that I regularly watch:

--Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares--both the US and UK versions (they're on BBCAmerica)

--Boston Legal (God bless Denny Craine)

--Dirty Sexy Money (new show on ABC...I'm liking it so far, but it's gonna get old, quick, methinks)

Other than that, there are some shows which I'll watch some times, but mostly I'm watching sports, cooking, or history stuff. Or nothing at all...shocker!!!

Oh! And I'm about to finish viewing the Blackadder series...I have 'Goes Fourth' on DVD right now.

It's the same set-up as the one on FOX, but I think that the series started in the UK, so the episodes are older. Same idea: he goes into a crap-tastic restaurant, whips people into shape, and turns things around (or tries to). I just love the fact that he gets into the arrogant bastards' faces, makes them wake the hell up, and then they're like, "gee, it all seems so simple!" duuuuuuh...

Oh...Thursday 8 and 9pm on BBCAmerica, for those interested. :no2:

Edited by docoflove1974

Well as a citizen of the worker paradise Sweden I've got Denmark 1 and Denmark 2. Yep that's the only channels I can receive. Well it's not too bad Danish television was always far better then the Swedish counterparts.

I don't watch very much at all anyway. Working myself through Stargate very slowly at the moment.

As for me it's Scrubs, Scrubs, and Scrubs. (1900-2000 & again 2330-2400) I get enough drama, :no2:

I want dramedy! B)

And as you said ASCLEPIADES, UNRV "TV" before, after. and in between. . .with the History Channel as white noise.

Just got home from work (night shift). Watching the 'Extras' series on DVD with Ricky Gervais. Nice long glass of cider as a nightcap, then to bed for a good day's sleep.

and I also watch "Flash Gordon."

It got savaged by the critics. I take it you disagree?

Depends on what standards you apply. I only expected some passable special effects, some fun if brainless plots, and lots of pretty girls in suggestive outfits. On those accounts I have not been disappointed.

Now, I will expect a higher level from the upcoming "BattleStar Galactica" prequels in November.

and I also watch "Flash Gordon."

It got savaged by the critics. I take it you disagree?

House and Dexter are the best two tv show now that Rome's gone.

Ihave also been wathing Letters from Iwo Jima. It was a fascinating battle and I'm a big Ken Watanabe fan. IMHO he's the best Japanese actor since Toshiro Mifune died. Flags of our Fathers had way too much drama and not enough shooting.