UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Review: Rome Total War

Ursus

I am happy to present to you UNRV's first video game review.

Feel free to discuss.

I enjoyed your thoughtful and extensive review of

I am happy to present to you UNRV's first video game review.

http://www.unrv.com/book-review/rome-total...old-edition.php

Feel free to discuss.

Before you make reviews please learn how to use the controls. Rome Total War is THE best game ever... period!

press control I for infantry then drag the mouse placing the whole unit group in a long line formation, taking individual units from the line as needed. . Depending on you're faction units you may need to place common units at a staging area then groups them as needed. Taking certain units and individually placing these on the flank helps the whole line from being attacked and detroyed. AI likes to attack the flank. Legions and other spear throwing units needs to be -told- to throw at will( press the Throw at Will Icon, Place these throwing units behind the phalanx-Scitarii-hoplite units, as the enemy then approaches the army they will come under heavy dart attack and their numbers will be cut down. Make sure to have these units Not on Stand Ground, otherwise they will not pursue or attack at will. Calvary units grouping is control C placing these on the flanks aids the line once under attack. Once you have grouped you're units, placed them it is best to release them back under individial will. You can however fight as a complete group but AI will attack you at weak points and route you're army. Three weeks of game play in nothing , you need alot more time learning ; a campaign can lasts months. RTW is the best game you'll ever play.

I strongly suggests you try again.

A great review Ursus but I agree with guy, it is a little too Harsh.

The points about the very strange power balance it valid and so are the concerns with the strange units and deities. However the battle map mode is working really great when you get the hang of it. I experienced no problem with it after the first hour of playing. It's most probable the best tactical game mode I've ever seen.

What's really I felt was a pain in the ass was on the hardest difficulty that the enemies didn't improve a bit in tactics, they just were given huge free armies constantly facing me with impossible odds over and over again. The AI would need some improvement.

(By the way it is possible to take a look at any town whenever you want too!)

i was actually very much suprised when you found barbarian much more enjoyable.. for me BI was a total flop. the barbarian factions all had generic units while the horde options makes it basically impossible to eliminate a faction because all you can do is continually horde. furthermore the lack of provinces in certain regions was also a bummer... maybe i dislike BI because i expected to much of it as its my preferred era of roman history... anyway

Good review, I agree on most issues.

The trouble with the game (and all of the total war series) is that it tries to be a strategy game, but it really isn't. It's a bunch of tactical battles, and completely lacking in economic, political and cultural depth.

The trouble with the game (and all of the total war series) is that it tries to be a strategy game, but it really isn't. It's a bunch of tactical battles, and completely lacking in economic, political and cultural depth.

A very good point there.

It did seem to be lacking depth, I agree. Just not my cup of tea.

I thank everyone for the feedback.

I noticed this generated a certain amount of enthusiasm not seen in most book reviews. Do you all feel UNRV needs more reviews and articles on popular entertainment with a Roman theme?

Please do. Always interested in Roman related subjects.

I noticed this generated a certain amount of enthusiasm not seen in most book reviews. Do you all feel UNRV needs more reviews and articles on popular entertainment with a Roman theme?

Well it's not as much about enthusiasm as that it's easier to talk about something that you've tried yourself. There are by the letter thousands and probably even hundred of thousands of books on Roman history but only so many games in the class of Rome Total War.

It's difficult to discuss a book you haven't read.

Well, that in itself is a good point, though. Everyone sees the major movies, everyone plays the major games. Pop culture/ mass media items are conducive to discussion.

Well it's not as much about enthusiasm as that it's easier to talk about something that you've tried yourself. There are by the letter thousands and probably even hundred of thousands of books on Roman history but only so many games in the class of Rome Total War.

It's difficult to discuss a book you haven't read.

Good review, although it fails to mention one major point : the game is ridiculously easy. The AI is more than atrocious. I'm serious. I've been playing this game recently, and I don't see how you could possibly loose at it, although admitedly I am a strategy game enthusiast, and I realise the review was mainly aimed at romanophiles. Also : flaming pigs and hunting dogs as units. You should have mentioned them. And ptolemaic Egypt has really ridiculous units, not to mention all barbarian factions in general.

I would be very curious to know what the team at UNRV thinks of Europa Barbarorum (http://www.europabarbarorum.com/). It's a user-made mod for Rome Total War. I think you'd find the game far more enjoyable with it, and the presentation is quite professional. It doesn't make it any harder, but that's my own personal grudge, I suppose. I'm not connected to it by any means, for the record. If any of you intend to play Rome Total War, you should really give this modification a shot, if only to make the game stop being ridiculous.

I would be very curious to know what the team at UNRV thinks of Europa Barbarorum (http://www.europabarbarorum.com/). It's a user-made mod for Rome Total War. I think you'd find the game far more enjoyable with it, and the presentation is quite professional. It doesn't make it any harder, but that's my own personal grudge, I suppose. I'm not connected to it by any means, for the record. If any of you intend to play Rome Total War, you should really give this modification a shot, if only to make the game stop being ridiculous.

I believe EB have been discussed or at least mentioned a number of times here and have so far from what I've seen only received good comments!