UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

That earthquake we had the other night

The other night we experienced an earthquake in England. It measured 5.1 on the Richter scale, and it was centred on Market Rasen in Lincolnshire. It occurred at about 01.00, and I was woken by the sound of my furniture shaking. It reminded me that we are all vulnerable to the capriciousness of the natural world, and I considered myself lucky not to have suffered injury or loss.

Unfortunately, my mother was not as lucky and she is still reeling from the destructive effects of the quake on her property. Here is a picture of the damage:

qs05xk.jpg

Is this the same earthquake as Caldrail was talking about or yet another one? (Based on that my approximate knowledge of your geographical position is correct)

Pfah! The UN know we brits are made of stern stuff. Whats an earthquake measuring 5.1 on the richter scale to us? The only casualty was a bloke in Bolton whose chimney fell on him - he's recovering in hospital. If the house I live in can survive an earthquake, then its typical of sturdy british architecture. (Caldrail notices a large crack in the plaster... hmmmm....)

We're getting quite used to these disasters in the UK. I was happily typing at my computer late on into the night when I thought that my clingy Persian was trying to get on my chair - buffetting it about etc. I then saw that she was happily asleep at my feet and said, 'Oh, it must be an earthquake'.

Wouldn't you all love to be as tranquil as me? :blink: I am very accepting of everything Poseidon throws at me....

We're getting quite used to these disasters in the UK. I was happily typing at my computer late on into the night when I thought that my clingy Persian was trying to get on my chair - buffetting it about etc. I then saw that she was happily asleep at my feet and said, 'Oh, it must be an earthquake'.

Wouldn't you all love to be as tranquil as me? :furious: I am very accepting of everything Poseidon throws at me....

I would be, but the stupid earthquake woke me up when I was trying to sleep :blink:

• 2 months later...

I'd be worried if I was one of those brits. An earthquake of that strength would have little effect on the US, but heck, it might have taken the UK right off the map! I doubt anyone could even locate it if not for magnifying glasses. with every water spout that rolls on by it takes away a pretty high percentage of british land. if a decent sized one comes knocking the whole thing'll just be sucked into the vortex.

Antiochus III

I'd be worried if I was one of those brits. An earthquake of that strength would have little effect on the US, but heck, it might have taken the UK right off the map! I doubt anyone could even locate it if not for magnifying glasses. with every water spout that rolls on by it takes away a pretty high percentage of british land. if a decent sized one comes knocking the whole thing'll just be sucked into the vortex.

Antiochus III

Hey! look at this, that happened a year or two ago. It improved the appearance of Birmingham immensely!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4725711.stm