UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Do you play a sport?

I love sports almost as much as I love Roman history. Although I'm considered one of the old men at my Rugby club, I still get out there and rattle my dags on a Saturday, and turn out for a social Soccer (football to purists) team on the odd Sunday. In the summer I play cricket and Touch Rugby. How many of you are actively involved in sports? And by that I mean playing out on the pitch - not couch potatoe-ing.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played a little basketball in high school (I'm tall), but took no great joy in it. If I want physical exercise I'll walk, hike or lift weights. I just can't get worked up over team sports (and I have few male friends because of it).

I love hiking with my kids. I could never get worked up about basketball - not enough contact! I come from a country where a team sport (Rugby) is practically the national religion.

I'm highly sedentary, but I'm trying to go to tennis and footbal. I've found out that sport it's the perfect cure for the pains in my back. I can not do any exercise because I get bored while games keep my interest high.

No. But I coach lacrosse, baseball, and basketball.

I try to remain fairly active but unfortunately don't play the team sports of my youth anymore -- American football, baseball and hockey.

I still inline skate regularly and kayak as often as my wife and family will allow (in the summer). I play racquetball weekly and weight train (home machine) for tone and general health. I gave up golf a couple of years back because I was terribly frustrated by the inability to get any better and really didn't have the time (or money) to dedicate to it. Like G-Man, I also coach my son's baseball team.

Other than that, does competitive drinking count?

I used to play american football a few years back, have had a break since keeping it to running. Now after moving I'll join a team of laid back soccer players. Perfect, easy and no pressure.

I used to play american football a few years back, have had a break since keeping it to running. Now after moving I'll join a team of laid back soccer players. Perfect, easy and no pressure.

You should play hockey. If you did, and since your from Sweden, the Detroit Red Wings would sign you to a contract :)

Niklas Lidstrom, Henrik Zetterberg, Mikael Samuelsson, Johan Franzen, Tomas Holmstrom, Niklas Kronwall, Andreas Lilja, Jonathan Ericsson and loads of young prospects. There's room for a Klingan.

I play tennis twice a week.

The only sport I was ever any good at! I am shamefully unfit these days, however, but in my past I started out playing tennis for my school and then going on to club level. I was about to go for a trial to country level (Cheshire) in 1979, but this was halted (permanently as it turned out) by my move to London with my job at the time.

I did briefly swim for my school too, but as I only ever won at backstroke, this was somewhat limiting! My gym teachers in junior school seemed to think I could play netball and put me in the school team - which I hated! I am not a team person at all.

I do keep meaning to go back to the tennis, as I did really love it and had a more than decent topspin backhand!

I do keep meaning to go back to the tennis, as I did really love it and had a more than decent topspin backhand!

Just do it--since it's fun for you, it'll be an exercise you keep up with. Like you, I also played tennis for my varsity high school team, but I almost totally quit for the (OMG) 12+ years of my education and early career. Somehow, I'd missed what follows mens sana.

When I finally wanted to get a corpora sana, I hit with a very patient pro (cost: less than a hair cut). After a shaky (read pathetic) start, I got back to 50% of old self by the end of the first session, though I could barely walk for a week. (When this happens to you, just repeat to yourself, "Pain is only weakness leaving the body," and pretend a Stoic said it.)

Most important thing, Augusta: tennis is no substitute for regular posts on Livia and her Venereal family!

... but I almost totally quit for the (OMG) 12+ years of my education and early career.

... but I almost totally quit for the (OMG) 12+ years of my education and early career incarceration in prison.

[/fixed for MPC]

:)

You should play hockey. If you did, and since your from Sweden, the Detroit Red Wings would sign you to a contract :P

Niklas Lidstrom, Henrik Zetterberg, Mikael Samuelsson, Johan Franzen, Tomas Holmstrom, Niklas Kronwall, Andreas Lilja, Jonathan Ericsson and loads of young prospects. There's room for a Klingan.

Actually I did try to stand on ice a few times when I was a kid. Fatal mistakes. I always fell and hit myself real bad :P

I've been playing football (soccer) from the moment I took my first steps and will continue to try and play until I take my final steps, it's by far the greatest game on earth!

I play regularly at least twice a week and I also try to play tennis as much as possible.

I'm also pretty damn good at the sport of drinking and falling over, in fact I could probably represent my country!! :P

PP, Klingan,

Surely Mats Sundin is the greatest Swedish player in the NHL at the moment?